Best way to stop a web page being indexed by Google & co?

Hi all,

I have created a page on my development website's root directory called 'projects.php'. The page contains a list of various projects I've done for clients, but some of those clients have requested the page does not get indexed in google due to the likelihood their competitors will still their designs and ideas.

With that in mind, what is the best way to publish this page on my website (e.g. with a link) and ensure under no circumstances Google indexes it?

I have of course already Googled the subject, but I wanted to run it by the experts (you guys :wink: before I publish a the link to the page on my site.

Thanks!

You can exclude the page in your robots.txt file, or using the robots meta tag on the page. You could also add the nofollow attribute to any links pointing to that page, as a “belt and braces” approach. Of course, this will work for Google and other search engines that obey the robots protocol, but less ethical bots will crawl it anyway.

Thanks for your help Technobear - I will follow those approaches :slight_smile: After all, I couldn’t ‘Bear’ it if that page was indexed :wink:

If you are posting those designs and ideas online, then asking the search engines not to index the content is not going to prevent people from viewing the content and potentially stealing it. The real question is whether or not it should be online at all. :slight_smile:

Aargh - are you related to ralph.m? He’s usually the one with the dreadful puns. :lol:

Not so much that I’m posting designs and ideas, its just a screenshot and description of each project Ive done recently. Ive added the meta tags, and also I’ve password protected the page with a php conditional statement.

I actually only want the page to be seen by prospective new clients, not the public if that makes any sense :slight_smile:

Sadly not - but I couldn’t resist that cute Bear icon :wink:

In that case, just make sure there are no links to that page, and Google won’t know about it. (Just send a link to clients.)

Anyhow, if it’s password protected, Google won’t see it anyway.

Im double safe! You might say Ive got more than the “Bear Necessity’s” BOOM BOOM.

Off Topic:

To prevent this kind of humor in the forums, the FAQ needs to include a special claws.

[ot]

Better cut that out, Ralph, before the admin gets furious.[/ot]

Oh dear lord, the jokes are getting REALLY bad now!

Off Topic:

Bee careful, honey. :stuck_out_tongue:

That joke is a little Bear…

Just bear with us while we paws to think.

Your the coolest bear I ever met.

:cool: