Bicycles -- are people REALLY this ignorant?

My husband runs a cycle hire and repair business. For repairs, most of his customers are tourists, with bikes in good condition because they’re regular cyclists and know how to maintain them, but they’ve had an accident or broken a spoke or something that they can’t fix themselves on the road. The others are local people, a few of whom do use WD40 to “lubricate” their bikes :rolleyes: and the rest of whom use nothing at all to lubricate their bikes. :eek: They then (mostly) leave them outdoors all year round, to be blasted by wind, rain and salt air off the sea, and come spring when they start to feel like cycling again, they’re astonished to find that the thing is seized up, and bring it to Running Bear expecting a magic cure.

Of course, you can leave your bike outdoors here without a lock, and it will still be there when you get back. As will your panniers, lights and anything else you leave with it.

Most tourists wear helmets and most locals don’t. This astonishes me. No way would I ride without one, despite the lack of traffic. The roads are full of potholes and the sheep and deer like to play “chicken”, diving across right in front of unsuspecting cyclists, frightening the wits out of them (well me, anyway). Oddly enough, it’s obligatory for a cycle hire business in the UK to offer helmets for customers, but there is no requirement for cyclists to wear one.

This post made made me think of yesterday when I literally saw a chick get hit on a bicycle by a car that was turning left and didn’t even see her. Looked like she had a broken leg.

[ot]

Chickens ride bicycles in America? [/ot]

[ot]

Well, they’ve got roads to cross. Meanwhile, in America, everyone is in a car anyways. People don’t ride bikes there. It’s too healthy/dangerous. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, I don’t think I’d dare ride my bike over in the US. I’d get hit by some SUV right away.[/ot]

Eh, that’s not OT there… my thread, I say so! :smiley:

Depends on where in the US; Saying “in the US” is a bit like saying “In the EU”. You try to ride in the city, then sure… You go to certain states of the union, then sure. (I’d NEVER consider riding in Florida for example!)

You get into the suburbs or the boonies, it’s a bit different; the only real problem I have is that around here there are places where it’s illegal to ride on the sidewalks, AND places where it’s illegal to ride on the road; regardless of which it is, people on the road constantly scream out their windows “GET OFF THE ROAD” – quite funny when they do it next to the one sign in town that actually says “No bicycles on sidewalks”

Though – and this is where my real issue with said ‘laws’ lies; many of the signs indicating a change are uselessly vague – and you know how I complain about things being uselessly vague. For example, here on main street where is switches from ‘sidewalk only’ to “road only”, the sidewalk only status isn’t even POSTED until you get to the rotary, but apparently starts the moment you cross the foot of my street. Not being posted all you get is a warning, but it’s a warning that makes me want to backhand the Officers for wasting their time and mine.

But worse, is the sign for where ‘road only’ starts – They’re on the side of the road where you won’t notice them on the sidewalk, and do they say “no bicycles on sidewalk?”

Of course not! It’s a yellow sign like a deer crossing, with a picture of a bicycle, and all it says is “share the road”… Does that mean “slow children”, “falling rocks” and “crossing deer” aren’t allowed on sidewalks either? I actually said that to a judge a couple years ago when one of the Staties handed me a $500 ticket for going into the ‘road’ (more like parking spaces alongside the road where NOBODY was parked) to give some ped’s room. I’ve at least got the court trained to the point where the town prosecutor now just tears them up and says don’t worry about it… over the phone.

Though that’s why I stick to the nice paved bike trails that criss-cross the town I’m in… where it’s a total non-issue. Well, that and I have around 2700 lumens forward facing and 900 rear thanks to my homemade headlamp (powered by recycled laptop batteries!) and pedals that light up LED’s as you ride – to go with my typical ride time of 3AM… late enough for there to be no drunks to deal with, late enough for nice temps, it’s not like I’m not awake with my [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-24-hour_sleep-wake_disorder]non-24 – it’s just less headaches.

Goes well with my typically wearing black and riding a black bicycle; right straight skippy I’m gonna light myself up… though the red rims and whitewalls help a lot too – even so it is surprising how often people STILL don’t seem to see me lit up like a Christmas tree in the middle of the night; blinking lights, bright lights – might as well not have them the way some people act. Just another reason to stick to the trails, and be EXTREMELY careful at every crossing… and pack heat just in case you come across some wildlife. (I am in Bear country after all).

Helmets are an interesting notion. I’ve never worn one biking; the only people that seem to do so around here are the spandex wearing limp wristed sissy metrosexual crowd; or tourists. Though that’s hardly surprising given that here helmets are optional on MOTORCYCLES. (where even I would at least wear a skullcap - probably with a spike). After all, the State motto is “Live Free or DIE!!!”. We may take that a little too seriously.

And I thought only in Italy they had come up with this ridiculous idea of having cyclists go on the sidewalks! Doh!
Really, whoever made that up must have smoked his brain away. Ok for little children and people that just go for a “walk” on a bike. But if you use it as a means of transport, then it’s just dangerous to go on the sidewalk. What do you think would happen if I went 20-30 km/hour amid of pedestrians? Just crazy.
It should always be illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalks (except for little children on their play bikes that is), and only illegal to go on certain streets where it is actually too dangerous to ride a bike (like highways). But then there are no sidewalks along highways either, are there?

WD-40 and Penetrating Blaster ARE NOT LUBRICANTS

I recently took a bike maintenance course. The above remark was one of the first things the instructor told us.

I have to admit that it was new to me.

Mike

do you know wd-40 is usefull for fishing bait?

im not lying, you spread with wd-40 the bait some hs before going fishing and it is better

Many years ago I worked in a pawn shop. We always had a can of WD-40 around. To lube up all the machinery we got it? Nope. To clean it.

It also works great for getting off sticker goo…as in impossible to remove labels and price tags. Spray on some WD-40, wait a few seconds, and wipe off.

I was about to make up my mind and stop cycling during week ends i haven’t for months only because being tired to take care of it ! but you make me think of re-starting bacause truly spoken i was most in good mood on monday mornings when i did this than now!