Big jQuery problem for me, but really small for you

Hey everyone I am new to the forums. I am trying to wrap my head around jquery and really have no idea where to begin. What I am trying to do is create a slider that auto scrolls 3-4 images from right to left with no controls. And if the user hovers over it, it stops so they can read the content that is featured. Everywhere I search there are bunch of plugins i.e. easyslider, s3slider, etc. that have tons of code that is greek to me. I tried using the easyslider code and changing things around for it to do what I want, but I was unsuccessful. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. One more thing, what is the easiset way to learn jquery? I really want to get it down and learn the language, but have no idea where to start. Should I buy a book? Read tutorials?

Thanks
Chris

What do you know about the prerequisits for jQuery, i.e., what do you know about:

1. (X)HTML

2. CSS

3. Javascript in general (not using any framework)

?

I know xhtml, pretty familiar with css(still learning everyday like most), and know nothing about javascript. I was hoping I didnt have to know javascript front to back in order to use jquery, but I have a feeling your gonna tell me I have to. If this is so that sets me back soo far from achieveing what I want. I struggle as it is learning new things because I work so much and don’t have the time. But if thats what I have to do than thats what I have to do.

I’m not saying you have to know javascript before starting with jQuery, but it sure helps!
Google for some jQuery tutorials and see what you can make of it.
If you don’t understand a bit of them I’d say you’ll have to start with the javascript basics.

IMHO, the javascript basics are:

• getElementById()
  • variables
  • functions
  • classes
  • conditional statements (if / switch)
  • loops (for / while)

Optional, but good to know:

• singleton pattern

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :slight_smile: