Well, the majority of files consists of Word and PDF files. I think there's probably some images here-and-there, but the majority are the Word and PDF files.
You see, what's happened here is related to the use of the Joomla "Remository" component. We ended up converting an older version of Joomla over to a newer version and when we did this, we also upgraded the Remository component. We thought everything was working alright since the files were "showing up" in the downloads list, but, funny enough, when we went to download the files and open a few up, they were empty files! Ha.
So obviously, I dropped the ball with the migration process somewhere along the lines, but with all the steps some of that Joomla stuff requires, it's bound to happen (especially when some of the documents are poorly written).
Anyway, I just hoped there was an easy way to take the BLOBS from the database (assuming that these BLOBS are the actual content of the files themselves) and re-convert them.