Board game players?

###The Mighty, The Invinsible, The First and the Last . . .###
#RAIL BARON#

I have one of the precious few Avalon Hill originals of the boxed board game. Hasbro bought AH for the purpose of eliminating the game. Now known as Hasbrokenit and officially on my sh+t list.

You gave Dominion a 10… I want to like that game. I really do.

Do you have the Tabletop Simulator? There are a few copies of Dominion on there.

How does it compare to Netrunner? I’ve actually been debating on that one recently to help fix my MtG craving.

I use to play monopoly until my family banned the game from being played, because of The Trade Incident. I never lost a game, either :wink:

I love Cards Against Humanity, Werewolf and Avalon. King of Tokyo and 7 Wonders is a lot of fun to play, too, as is Settlers of Cattan.

With the younger crowd I’ve been playing Uno and Hungry Hungry Hippo which is lots of fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love playing board games, but Running Bear isn’t keen, so I don’t get much opportunity unless we have visitors. The exception to this is “Woolly Bully”, which we play occasionally - mainly by candlelight during power cuts - and which gets really competitive. (of course, it’s meant to be a children’s game…)

1 Like

Actually, that rating for Dominion is a bit old. As my tastes changed I have not revised those ratings - I really should reevaluate that entire list.
Personally, I think NetRunner is a better game. Of course, it is only two-players. That may be one of its strengths. So many games that profess to support a two-player version require such a twisting of the rules it affects the gameplay - cripples it.

I still really like Dominion. But there are more I have played recently that I like better. I would put 7 Wonders in the same category with Dominion. The “Card Drafting” mechanic appeals to me more than the “Deck Building”. Which is a switch in my tastes because during its heyday my favorite aspect of MtG was deck construction. I joked that my only reason for playing the game was to test out new decks!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s much easier to find 1 person to play with than multiple. Unless you have a gaming group. I’d really like to find one, but the public ones around me are a bit much. One gathers at the main library downtown. I’m more of a Dinner Table sorta guy. :smile: The local game shop is definitely too hardcore for me, but I do shop there often.

I actually hadn’t heard of that one before. Is it as simple as it looks? I’ve been looking for a decently simple game to add. I forgot to mention it, but Small World is pretty much the only one that I was able to talk people into playing on a regular basis. But we played it out and it got old. It’s good to cycle.

This is the top article on /r/boardgames right now:

##Time to try board games newer than Monopoly

I definitely agree with him for anyone who hasn’t played anything recent before. :smiley:

Sometimes with Settlers you get duff games. Sometimes the layout of the tiles and numbers, or the starting positions that people pick, aren’t conducive to a good game. Sometimes it’s just bad luck. What I’ve found is that the first one or two times that people play it, they don’t always “get” it, and especially if they are playing with other people who haven’t played it before (or people who have but keep all the tips and tricks they know to themselves!), but as they play it a little bit more, and get to know the game better, they like it more and more. No, it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the majority of people I know who have tried it have liked it. So maybe it’s worth giving it another try.

1 Like

It’s very simple, but fun to play, and the cards (and expansions) provide some good power-ups and plot twists while playing.

The concept is very easy to follow which is important, I think, when introducing new people to a game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, we used the suggested one I think. We didn’t want to get too fancy. I’ll probably go check it out on the Tabletop Sim. I looked around last night and it seemed pretty popular with the public rooms.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that none of us liked it. I’m pretty sure we played by the rules, but just didn’t have fun.

Awesome, thanks. I’ll have to try that one out.

I bloody love board games, anything with a strong theme that I like basically. As I work here, I’m even going to spruik one I’m making :slight_smile: :smile:

chipshopgame.com

My favourites are co-ops, seven wonders at the moment. Oh and Cards Against Humanity when I’m drunk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome!

There is a subreddit called https://reddit.com/r/tabletopgamedesign which you might find useful. They have a Steam group that gets together once a month and play tests each other’s games on Tabletop Simulator. I’m part of the group, but haven’t been to any of the get together’s yet. I’m not really a game designer, I just want to help play test.

If you don’t have TTS yet, it’s back up to $20… it was down to $13.50 for the last 2 weeks on the Steam Summer Sale. :frowning: Still worth it though.

It’s super easy to set up your own card deck:

The video is a bit old and at the end he talks about “being able to import custom models” in the future, which you can also do now.

Is your game based on Netrunner by any chance? It looks like it. I’ve been wanting to play Netrunner.

Yes, I had seen those various links, but not put them together, I will…

Game is nothing like Netrunner I’m afraid!

Resurrecting another fairly old thread, as this XKCD comic has me in tears.

5 Likes

I am old school, I play chess online. Monopoly and Cluedo with the family :smile:

1 Like

Euro Truck forever :smile:

I’ve only recently entered the board game scene having discovered geeky friends at my place of work. They’re seriously into their board and card games, makes for enjoyable, fun-filled evenings. :slight_smile:

Werwolves is a fantastic strategic, role-based game if you enjoy psychological elements mixed with detective work, ha. http://goo.gl/EbqAHD

Skulls and Roses is another - it’s a simple game in which players place skull and rose cards face-down and have to guess how many rose cards they can turn up around the table. If they turn up a skull, they lose. It starts off as pure gambling which develops into strategy as the game progresses. http://goo.gl/1R4NWR

Definitely worth either of them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I don’t play board games but I have friends who are just crazy about them. I am planning to join them on a weekend to test the waters.

1 Like

Werwolves – I just love it. Simon you got me.
:smile:

1 Like

Here is another old school who is fond of playing chess. :blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.