Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute

Hi from medieval York Uk :smile:

Just agreed to run updates from the ever nagging wordpress CMS. Now I get this message when i dial into my website davidclick.com -

“Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.”

I am not a wordpress developer and the cances of me getting back in touch with the developer are remote. Is this something that might fix its self?

Thanks,
David

1 Like

There is a .maintenance file that has been added in the root of your site. You should go in and delete this.

By the way, did you backup your site before you performed the updates?

No I didnt back anything up, no idea I had to. If this ends in a car crash so be it. Wordpress has been no friend of mine!

I can’t even get into my admin :frowning:

Do you have access to your files in your web hosting account? That’s where you have to go to delete this file.

When WordPress updates, it adds this file to put your site in maintenance mode. If something goes wrong to interrupt the update process, it does not complete, and this file is not automatically removed. That is why your site is stuck in maintenance mode.

Hi Web machine, I’m working with this now, found out who my web hoster is www.digitalocean.com Now to find the files :frowning: Thats not easy form someone like me, but here goes :slight_smile:

Good luck! Let me know if you want any help with this.

Ok well ive had “some” progress. My wp site is hosted by www.digitalocean.com. So I log into digital ocean but then discover this is no noob friendly hosting interface. Whilst 123 reg was all cartoons and bright colours this looks like i need to know linux commands or something to find my wordpress files ;-(

This next link points to what i see, a bit intimidating for me -http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/zymurgy_bucket/cloudflare-file-access_zpswqzgtj57.jpg

So if anyone knows how to find there files on digitalocean.com please throw that advice my way :wink:

Thanks,
Davdi

Here’s some images:

http://anetizer.com//davidclick/index

He’s trying to find the WordPress files so that he can delete the .maintenance file that was left behind when he updated his WordPress installation.

Only a wild guess, but what shows under “Your Websites”?

Do you have FTP access to your hosting? If so then that’s the easiest way to locate and delete the file.

Hehe, that’s his browser toolbar, rather than anything to do with the DigitalOcean site.

Looks like DO does have FTP access: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-filezilla-to-transfer-and-manage-files-securely-on-your-vps

1 Like

MMMmmm yeah that doesnt work.

Ok heres the end of the story and thank you for all your help. You cant get FTP access via digital ocean and Ive since learnt the site is not hosted here despite a request to a techie that i wanted the site hosted here.

Turns out Ive been paying hosting twice. All this just accelerates my will to ditch wordpress and build my own site and host in an environment I can control.

And mysteriously the site re appeared late in the evening… RIP Wordpress.

Good luck. BTW, that’s a hosting issue, not WordPress’s issue. I’ve worked with WordPress sites a lot (with my own hosting account where I can control things, and the same with my clients) and love it. I hope you will try it again some day.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.