Browser Trends May 2015: Can Microsoft Regain the Edge?

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-may-2015-can-microsoft-regain-edge/
The browser market has been mostly static for a few months. Let’s check the latest figures from StatCounter?…

Worldwide Desktop & Tablet Browser Statistics, March to April 2015

The following table shows browser usage movements during the past month.

Worldwide Desktop & Tablet Browser Statistics, April 2014 to April 2015

The following table shows browser usage movements during the past twelve months:

(The tables show market share estimates for desktop browsers. The ‘change’ column is the absolute increase or decrease in market share. The ‘relative’ column indicates the proportional change, i.e. 8.8% of IE9 users switched browsers last month. There are several caveats so I recommend you read How Browser Market Share is Calculated and StatCounter vs NetMarketShare.)

It’s the usual story. Chrome had the biggest jump and now stands a fraction under 50% of the market. Firefox and Opera dropped a little, but the biggest loser was Safari. Both the Mac OS and iPad versions decreased but Apple is unlikely to be concerned given their recent $13.6 billion quarterly profits!

The only other browser to make a gain was IE. Talking of which…

Goodbye Internet Explorer, Hello Edge

We’ve known about Microsoft’s new browser for some time. It has now received an official name: Microsoft Edge.

Meh. I liked “Spartan”.

Does the new logo look familiar?…

999-browser-trends

It’s a sensible choice. Existing IE users who don’t know or care about Edge won’t notice any difference — they’ll still click that blue ‘e’ icon.

The name and logo are a little underwhelming. Perhaps Microsoft could have been more radical? That said, users rarely like major changes (Windows 8 anyone?) Here’s a look at a recent build of the browser to whet your appetite.

Worldwide Mobile Browser Statistics, March to April 2015

Mobile usage grew marginally to reach 33.47% of all web activity.

The top mobile browsing applications:

The mobile market remains lively and most users stick with the default browser on the device. For iPhone users, that’s Safari — Apple don’t permit other rendering engines. It dropped below 20% for the first time since December 2013. However, the iPhone remains exceptionally popular so it’s unlikely to be a long-term trend.

At the lower end of the chart, IEMobile has overtaken the ancient Nokia browser to become the sixth most-popular application. But 2.2% of the market is barely cause for a celebration. Perhaps Microsoft Edge will fare better?
Continue reading this article on SitePoint

I didn’t like it at first, but did get used to it and now am sad to see it go! I can’t imaging liking “Edge”. Hopefully it won’t keep us all on edge like IE did.

I knew IE wouldn’t die that easily. Its ghost will haunt us for ever. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m surprised they used the name of the engine as the name of the browser. I was hoping Edge would remain the engine, and that the browser would be… I don’t know… Let’s say “Engine”.

(“Microsoft Engine” being the name of the latest - i.e. edge - browser, who’s engine name is Edge… that would’ve been so meta…)

i wouldn’t care if they call it Microsoft butt as long as it respects the latest web standards ,no more ie hacks pelase

IE7 and down died a while ago.

One thing that Microsoft needs to fix is the upgrade model. We get users stuck on 5-10 year old browsers because they don’t auto-update. With Chrome and Firefox, we would have problems if users were still on Chrome 3 and Firefox 2, however this doesn’t happen for a simple reason: They auto-update. As such, they seem like better browsers. If everyone on IE was on IE11, we wouldn’t have nearly as many of the problems that we associate with IE in general.

2 Likes

I think they are addressing that now with their new business model for Windows 10 and assossiated tech.

To be fair, IE does upgrade … but it’s not had one for a while and you’ll be stuck on older versions if you use Vista or below.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.