Building a CMS from scratch - which skills do you need?

I agree with Oddz to an extent, in that I don’t believe that documentation is the strong suit of the Drupal community in general.

When I download a Wordpress module or a Joomla module, I can usually expect a great deal more illustrative documentation. But then again, most of the modules you download for those platforms … aren’t nearly as complicated as something like, say, the context module or entity views attachment. :smiley: So there’s naturally going to be a little less involved with your typical “image gallery” or “contact form” plugin you’re more likely to be downloading from either of those.

On the flip side, with some of the more tried and proven modules … drupal has some very excellent screencasts and tutorials from the likes of Mustardseed Media, Lullabot (drupalize.me), or buildamodule. Not to mention one of the very best and most definitive books ever written for any CMS (Pro Drupal Development).

So I can kind of see both sides. Like with anything else, it comes down to nothing being perfect, but on balance the tradeoffs will tend to even out in the end.