Business Cards

I’m not really good w/ logo design (Illustrator, I presume), so I don’t know if I’d necessarily enjoy it. I’m sure it’d be a good learning experience. It just seems like a foreign idea for me. I’m sure I can throw something together.

On a scale of 1 to necessary, what would you give creating a logo?

~TehYoyo

On a scale of 1 to necessary, what would you give creating a logo?

Necessary! Maybe not a complex one, but some kind of type face. I am not too good at logo design either, so if I were you I would draw up a funky typeface with your name on and leave it as that. It will take you minutes, and it would look much better than a typeface in Arial. If you’ve looked @ the Drupal default theme, it’s just a type-face on the logo name and it looks a little ugly. Use typekit or Google fonts to help you out. Good luck!

Your business card should not be crowded. If possible, place the list of products that you offer on the back of the business card. On the front list your name, position, company’s name, address and what you do and your logo.

Gotcha!

Thanks for the help.
~TehYoyo

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome :slight_smile:

GIMP has a “Create Logo” facility, which basically just does interesting things with text and requires zero effort. I expect Photoshop has a similar feature. If not, GIMP is free. :slight_smile:

simple card with name email and contact does the trick

if and when you make a illion bucks then you can focus on a fancy shmancy card

But do you really need to be that successful to have a nice business card? Just b/c you’re starting out doesn’t mean that you should have a 3-minute business card.

That’s another thing - how much should you spend on your business card? I read this article which features pure gold and diamond business card…I realize that it’s a symbol of status. I’m sure that none of us are at that level (and if you are, can you buy me a house?), but how much should any person spend on a business card? 10 bucks for 50? Less? How much is a nice paper that has a great texture? How much for certain inks? Printing?

~TehYoyo

If you’re going to use business cards (and I do), then I’d say it’s worth paying enough to get a professional-looking card that will create the right impression. More than that and you’re just wasting your money.

I think you guys are putting to much stock in business cards. Clients don’t give a crap about your business card and what it looks like, they only care about the service you are selling them.

I wish that the case but long before you get to deliver a project or even make a pitch you start with a first impression and like it or not that’s about appearances.

These days a lot of my life is spent at networking events and a clean styled and modern card still says a lot to a lot of people. This is especially true when dealing with legacy and larger companies who are use to paper pitches – or for someone in the creative / marketing / delivery business (if you can’t showcase your brand well people have a hard time thinking you’ll do it for theirs).

This doesn’t mean you need some $2 per card plastic, die cut gimmick – usually a simple design, key facts on a decent vista print cardstock does the trick – but presentation always counts. Even when the presentation is to present down.

In my world a reputation means more then a fancy super-dooper business card. You are going to land more clients though word of mouth, referral, then you are with a piece of paper.

@Ted_S;
I could not agree more. Referrals and your business model count a lot in running a business. First impressions mean a lot. I like to give the best impression possible, considering I already have the 2$ stock :D. However, if I was to redo things I would certainly look at starting out cheaper and looking at the long term of business. First impressions mean a lot, but in the end, those impression will only help you get the client, and not keep them or give you return custom.

@Jason__C;
Again, you’re right. Referals count WAY more than a piece of paper, but it all counts. A new potential client of mine wants a website because a business associates keep asking him whether he has a site up. Again, if it’s a shoddy website then he’s likely to be taken less seriously. He’s true test is whether what he sells is any good. However, those impressions sometimes make the difference between night and day.

Personally I see a business card as just a piece of paper. It helps me get work (I have to admit), and the presentation always helps, but this does not help me make money or keep clients, that’s all down to proper business procedure and structure.

I suggest you budget on and look at the overal appearance, stock business cards are pretty bad, look for a custom look and you should be able to design something your own. Think of long term and short term, 50% of all new businesses fail within the first two years. So maybe given these statistics you should spend as little as possible and focus your energy on making connections.

I don’t think a referral and a card are competitive, in fact, I’d say one works with another.

99% of my work comes from word of mouth and if anything that makes the first impression all the more important: with an introduction I need to be sure whoever I meet walks away with a positive impression, even if we don’t do business. In person that means having a smart conversation, the right dress, and professional leave behinds, of which cards are a common part. In the virtual world the physical card goes away but the concept remains – it’s your email address, signature, font choice… it’s minor details but when people are trying to evaulate an abstract value, small things are often all you have to go with.

It’s not that a card makes the day, not even close, but it’s a part of demonstrating that you get it.

But again I’m not advocating the expensive card in the least. Just something that reflects you well… clean, simple, not printed on a 1990s laser jet for most businesses. For those in design / creative / marketing (which I fit into I suppose) the bar raises as your card becomes part of your portfolio.

@Ted. Yeah, your spot-on, and I agree with you. I was just making a point regarding the effectiveness of business cards. So yes, you do need them, but someone shouldn’t based their entire marketing campaign (networking) from business cards.

There’s no function to +1 a post so… +1. :smiley:

I think that the business card is very important - you might get work from word of mouth, but once you’re referred, what are you going to give them? A sticky w/ your phone and name? No - a business card is a necessity, especially when people are referring back to it in the future - every time they see it they should be impressed by your company.

If you’re arguing electronic age that doesn’t need business cards, I’d argue that business cards won’t be going out of style for a good 10 years.

~TehYoyo