Buying a hosting for the client

Hi everyone!

I have a doubt with a client request and before I decide something I prefer to ask. My client wants her own hosting package (from HostGator, BlueHost, or any other) but asked me to buy it for her. Now, I already have an account in HostGator and actually when I was gonna make the purchase, it offered me to just add another hosting package to my account, I thought this was convenient since I’d more easily administered it that way. I was about to make all the transaction when I realized something I think is important: my client’s hosting would be under my name, in my account. Is it ok to do this? I mean, what if someday she decides to go with another designer and wants her hosting back? I don’t know if there’s a way to transfer to hosting to another account. But more important, I don’t want to do something wrong morally nor legally. I need some advice of what do to here.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Meiji,

Welcome to the forum.

Ask your client to purchase the domain name and then she has control over where the site is hosted.

I have brought hosting for people in the past via my account and have had it transferred without a problem BUT it was with small hosting companies that have a personal touch.

Some people are not very confident of setting things up they do not understand.

If you are unsure ask the hosts before you do anything.

Hi John Betong! Thanks for the welcome! Well, the reason the client didn’t buy anything is because she doesn’t understand anything of that, but she wanted her own hosting package, that’s why she asked me to buy it. Unfortunately, I didn’t think about this until after I bought the domain in GoDaddy. I made a research after this and found out I can transfer the domain, but didn’t know about the hosting.

You’re right Rubble, I’m sending a ticket to HostGator asking them as well, let’s see what they say.

If you unfamiliar about how to transfer your domain name, you dont need to transfer it. Please just keep your domain with your current registrar (for example you said Godaddy). If you want to register new hosting, you just need to point your domain to their name server, it is simple as that. If you cant do that, plaese just ask your registrar, in your position is Godaddy to do that. The domain will be resolved within 12-24 hours. Hope this explanation help you

Please read the thread carefully before replying. The OP isn’t asking how to transfer a domain, but about how to buy a domain and hosting on behalf of a client.

If your client decides to mover her hosting account to another provider, it is easily done. All she will have to do is to ask her new provider to transfer the hosting from you. All you will have to do is provide her with your her hosting control panel details. The new host will take care of the transfer 99% of the time. I hope i managed to answer your question.

Ideally, I would ensure both the domain and the hosting are in the client’s name, not mine. There was a situation a few years back where a local designer died suddenly - and all his clients’ domains and hosting were registered to him, not to them. It took quite some time to sort out. So even if I do the actual buying, I use the client’s details and ensure everything is in their name.

Thank you everyone for your answers, they were helpful. I finished buying the hosting under my client’s name as adviced by several of you. After contacting HostGator, they also told me that was the right thing to do.

TechnoBear, I don’t plan to die sometime soon though :stuck_out_tongue: But you’re right, that possibility also crossed my mind, touch wood.