BYO WordPress Themes - problem with footer

Chapter 5 - pages 108-111 - modifying the footer

I can’t seem to make the wp_list_pages work. I’ve followed the examples very carefully, and have also activated the downloaded code samples for the chapter. In none of the cases do I see the list of pages in the footer.

Am I missing something in some of the WordPress administrative functions? Any other possibilities?

I’m using a WAMP server on my computer with the latest version of WordPress 3.0.1.

Thanks!

Ok, I have done some investigating and I found out that on my home.php file, even though it’s supposed to call out to the footer-homepage.php file and use it, goes to footer.php instead.

How do I know this? I went into tthe footer-homepage fie and removed “thematic_footer();”
and nothing happened. I did the same thing in the footer.php file and the footer disappeared on the homepage. Any suggestions?

I think the book needs some editing and some corrections!

Here’s another thread that might help:

subject: WordPress code error call to thematic_abovecontent()

Here are the portions that might help:

charles i:
In the Advanced Theme Construction chapter the book says to copy the index.php file and rename it as home.php - the example in the book and the code in the download includes this function call in home.php <?php thematic_abovecontent(); ?> - this function call is not in index.php and there is no function thematic_abovecontent() in the functions.php file so the home page shows a PHP error. If I’m correct this line should be removed from home.php <?php thematic_abovecontent(); ?>.

algisk:
I deleted lines 13 and 47 from home.php.

line 13: <?php thematic_abovecontent(); ?>

line 47: <?php thematic_belowcontent(); ?>

It then worked fine.

My previous problems with the files were
because I had gone to "Settings –> Reading , and checked “Front page displays” – "a static page (select below):

Front page: about"

and not setting

"Posts page: "

Details! Details!

Good luck!

OK. I finally got it to work!
I cannot stress enough how important it is to go over your code and make sure there are no typing errors. I was missing an “e” in homepage (looked like hompage) in my call function and it would not call out as a result.Working good now!

None of those fixes worked for me. As a matter of fact, when in the Settings Reading section, Post don’t show in the dropdown menu, pages do. What gives?!

I too am having problems with the footer. I have going over this section over and over trying to see if I missed something and I don’t believe I have. I’m about to pull my hair out!

Any help would greatly be appreciated. :sick:

Also, is there some special setting that I need to make to posts or pages for them to show up as links in the footer?

Do in need to set up the menu under Appearance—> Menus?

This is sOOO frustrating!

I saw this but that doesn’t do it for me either.
Just for clarity, Let’s make sure my file structure is correct. The following should be in my new themes folder:

home.php
footer-homepage.php
functions.php

thanks in advance…

The problems with the files were
because I had gone to “Settings –> Reading” , and checked
“Front page displays”
"A static page (select below):

Front page: about" (or "home" or whatever)

and not setting

"Posts page: News"  (or "Blog" or whatever ...)

It also worked when I chose:

"Front page displays:

Your latest posts"

Details! Details!