Call Center Conversation

I’ve been working for about 4 years in Call Center and here’s a sample of some of the conversations in our resource database…:smiley:

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee.
(Now I know why they record these conversations!):

Operator: “Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?”
Caller: ”Yes, well, I’m having trouble with WordPerfect.”
Operator: “What sort of trouble?”
Caller: ”Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away.”
Operator: “Went away?”
Caller: ”They disappeared”
Operator: “Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?”
Caller: ”Nothing.”
Operator: “Nothing?”
Caller: ”It’s blank; it won’t accept anything when I type.”
Operator: “Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?”
Caller: ”How do I tell?”
Operator: “Can you see the ‘C: prompt’ on the screen??”
Caller: ”What’s a sea-prompt?”
Operator: “Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?”
Caller: ”There isn’t any cursor; I told you, it won’t accept anything I type.”
Operator: “Does your monitor have a power indicator?”
Caller: ”What’s a monitor?”
Operator: “It’s the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when its on ? ”
Caller: “I don’t know.”
Operator: ”Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that??”
Caller: ”Yes, I think so.”
Operator: “Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it’s plugged into the wall.
Caller: ”Yes, it is.”
Operator: “When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?”
Caller: “No.”
Operator: ”Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.”
Caller: “Okay, here it is.”
Operator: ”Follow it for me, and tell me if it’s plugged securely into the back of your computer.”
Caller: “I can’t reach.”
Operator: ”OK. Well, can you see if it is?”
Caller: “No.”
Operator: ”Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?”
Caller: “Well, it’s not because I don’t have the right angle – it’s because it’s dark.”
Operator: ”Dark?”
Caller: “Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window.”
Operator: “Well, turn on the office light then.”
Caller: “I can’t.”
Operator: ”No? Why not?”
Caller: “Because there’s a power failure.”
Operator: “A power …. A power failure? Aha. Okay, we’ve got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff that your computer came in?”
Caller: “Well, yes, I keep them in the closet.”
Operator: “Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.”
Caller: ”Really? Is it that bad?”
Operator: “Yes, I’m afraid it is.”
Caller: ”Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?”
Operator: “Tell them you’re too stupid to own a computer!”

[FONT=“Georgia”]Lier.

[/FONT]

Funny story… too bad this didn’t really happen, unless it was the last call of the day for a guy quitting.

is that true? hmmm, if it is, that’s really a funny story!

Simple and blunt - and yeah I’d heard it before too…

Operator: “Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?”
Caller: ”How do I tell?”
Operator: “Can you see the ‘C: prompt’ on the screen??”

why would you see a DOS prompt if you are in WordPerfect?

This is a joke/hoax that goes back to the mid 90s…

Not true, at least not in the script form, but if you read the original story, it’s even more funny.

I have worked in a call center before and you wouldn’t believe the types of calls you will get. At the end of some days you will just want to pull your hair out because of the number of stupid people in the world. I’ve said similar things but in clever ways so I wouldn’t get fired.

I found fun in playing with customers while fixing their internet connection. For example I had a competition with the guy next to me to see who could get the person to restart the computer the most. 47 times I had someone restart their computer for a simple browser issue.

I know I know that was a horrible thing to do but it made the work day more interesting.

I actually used to train people who were training to be call center agents here in the Philippines. Obviously, with English not being the first language, there were certain phonetic issues…

“Yes ma’m, I just need to clarify the spelling of your name, it’s Barbara, correct?”
“Yes, that’s correct”
“So that’s ‘B’ for B(v)ictory…”

Well I’m working for Verizon account and there’s a lot of Chinese too…so difficult to deal with…:frowning:

AFAIK, the Chinese have “L” in their language, so at least you wont be getting “Rand Rine” or “Cerphone”. :smiley:

Although, seriously speaking, I know what you mean. It’s a… region thing to be honest. A Chinese man can speak “English” to a Malaysian, Thai, or Filipino, and they’ll actually understand each other.

There was a very good (but old) prank tech support call were 2 guys rang a woman up, who I think they knew through somebody else.

They convinced her they were from her ISP and got her to open up the computer and carefully follow their instructions. After a few minutes she had then completely destroyed the computer.

I guess you are talking about Japanese?

Silly thing is, some people are just making fun of call center agents, at some point, these agents are sometimes fired because of customer satisfaction surveys.

I guess we make fun of everything, including ourselves :slight_smile: Don’t take it so seriously. Some agents get promoted for their good service :slight_smile:

Maybe they should be fired for bumping 36 month old threads instead

^:lol: Maybe.

I was thinking about closing the thread but I wanted to give him the chance to explain how he felt his way.