Calling Batch file from Asp.Net using VB.net in .Net 1.1 Application

Dear All,

I have to develop a application using Asp.Net and VB.Net in .Net 1.1.
My aim is that ,I have one CSV File i want to read the CSV file and bulk insert into Oracle Database.
I use Batch file which contain

sqlldr userid=username/password@TNSNAME control=BatchFile.ctl LOG=BatchFile.log

In CTL file contains the table name and the executable CSV file Path.

In c# of .Net 2005 is working fine.
If i double click on the Batch file then also data inserting into the table.
Both the case is fine but same thing i write in VB.Net.
The code is follows

' ******** Data moving from CSV file to TMP table ************/
                Try
                    Dim startInfo As ProcessStartInfo = New ProcessStartInfo(Server.MapPath("~") + "/BatchFile/BATCH.BAT", "Command")
                    startInfo.WorkingDirectory = Server.MapPath("~") + "/BatchFile"
                    startInfo.CreateNoWindow = True
                    startInfo.WindowStyle = System.Diagnostics.ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden
                    startInfo.UseShellExecute = True

Dim batchExecute As Process = New Process
                    batchExecute.StartInfo = startInfo
                    If (batchExecute.Start()) Then
                        batchExecute.WaitForExit()
                        lblMessage.Text = "Data moved successfully"
                    End If

Catch csvEX As Exception
                    lblMessage.Text = csvEX.Message
                End Try

No error is coming but no data is inserting into database’s table.

Anyone can help me…

In CTL File(BatchFile.ctl) contains

load data
infile 'C:/Ujjwal/AccessTime.csv'
APPEND  
INTO TABLE TEST_BATCH
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"'  TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
T_ID ,
EMP_ID,
FIRST_NAME ,
LAST_NAME 
)

'Data moving from CSV file to TMP table
                Dim startInfo As System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo = New System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo(Server.MapPath("~") + "/BatchFile/BATCHUPLOAD.BAT", "Command")
                startInfo.WorkingDirectory = Server.MapPath("~") + "/BatchFile"
                startInfo.CreateNoWindow = True
                startInfo.WindowStyle = System.Diagnostics.ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden
                startInfo.UseShellExecute = True
                Dim batchExecute As System.Diagnostics.Process = New System.Diagnostics.Process

batchExecute.StartInfo = startInfo
                If (batchExecute.Start()) Then

From this line it throws Access is denied error.

StackTrace	"   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
   at seg1step.xx_import_xml_specs.btnUpload_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\\Web\\mhe1stepQA\\xx_import_xml_specs.aspx.vb:line 120"	String

Anyone can help me.
But if i go to folder and double click on BATCHUPLOAD.BAT file.Then it is working.Also, I developed it in c#.There is working but in VB.net it is not working.

Any help.Today is my delivery.( beacuse i did it in c# but in VB.net it gives this issue).

Thanks,
Ujjwal Das

It is not a good idea to start a batch file (or any other process for that matter) from within a web page. In fact, I believe that your problems may be related to very sensible security settings within .NET which will not by default allow you to spawn new processes.

If you have already developed the “bulk inserter” in C#, why don’t you just refactor it so that the insertion logic can be called from the web page without starting external processes.

However, if this is a lot of data you will still have issues such as timeouts etc. In that case you are probably better off queuing up requests (using MSMQ or some database table as a poor-man’s queue) and having an external process check the queue continuously (blocking MSMQ calls ) or polling the table.

If you need instant handling and you cannot use queues for some reason, an alternative may be to queue up a WorkItem. A WorkItem will be scheduled by IIS to run asap. Note, that it will occupy a dispatcher thread for the duration of the processing. You could issue a “ticket” to the requester can use Ajax callbacks or “meta” redirects to poll for WorkItem completion.