Calling it quits

Hey guys. I just thought I’d let you know that I am calling it quits. After my stroke last year, my level of energy and interest in programming has dimished a great deal. I’ll still lurk around and offer help when I can, but honestly, I have issues with most modern development practices today. I’m an old dog, and keeping up with new tricks when I only half understand them is just not working. The details are unimportant at present, but if you ask, I’ll gladly elaborate.

Cheers friends!

=)

Always a shame when an old hand hangs up the gloves but you have some really good reasons. I wish you the best of luck for the future and dont be a stranger - there are always newbies that need a guiding hand!

Spike

Sorry to hear it, Serenarules, but best wishes with whatever you pursue next. :slight_smile:

Trust me, your not alone. I say, take a month off, refresh your mind, relax, and you will be blazing when you come back. This happened to me years ago when I was learning Java, btw I hate Java. I quit for about a month, but came back with a whole new energy. Web Development is not easy, as a matter of fact, it is quite hard, especially on the mind which gets tired after awhile. If my opinion is right, see ya back here soon! :slight_smile:

Take care and thanks for all you’ve contributed around this place. You’ll be missed.

Best of luck, take care and thanks for your efforts in the forums. Hope that you still find time to pop in occasionally.

Good luck with the future. It is sad to see you go and to not read any of your interesting threads. But I am sure you have thought long and hard about your decision. I hope all goes well with your new endeavors.

I sure hope it’s only a short term leave. For someone that “half understands them” you’re way over my level. I usually don’t know enough to even make a sensible comment but I’ve always learned a bit (a painfully slow process I’m afraid - I’m no pup either - ever write a G0TO?) just by reading your posts.

It’s always a bit sad to see a familiar face calling it quits. Good luck with what you’ll be doing next!

Thanks everybody. As I said though, I’ll still be around. I am just not taking any more contract work, or actively persuing any personal projects. My sight and hearing are beginning to fail, just as my father’s did around my age. He and his own father started having heart attacks at 40, and I’ve already had a stroke, so I am at a point where I just want to relax a bit, work on my Sonar songs, and spend more time with the family, instead of stressing over how I want to implement some pattern or another.

Good luck to you and your family.

That’s understandable. I wish you all the best as well.

I already miss your froggy (which is been replaced by a paper clip??). Do pop in once in a while! Your questions were always great thread starters.

Wish you the best

Sorry to hear this too :frowning: You’ve been around for long years now! Good luck with everything! See you! :slight_smile:

Take care and do stop by from time to time.
I don’t travel in programming circles too much, but I do agree it’s a shame to see you go! We “old dogs” have to pack together!

Of course, health and family should always come first.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Anthony.