Camera for hobbys

I found this one Sony Cyber-Shot my friend own’s it and i’m happy with its resolution. But i’m not sure it says it uses a lense and it’s a (dslr)? if i’m correct it has the lensse perminently attached right??? is this the best camera for 280$ for my school classes??

Looks like you can not change lenses - very deciving description on Sony website.

It depends what you want to do as it has lots of useful functions; but if you buy that now and then decide to get a camera with interchangable lenses later you will not get a lot back for it.
I do not think it can shoot in RAW format either and it uses a memory stick - but if it is within your budget and you like it?
If you go for a “proper” dslr you have to remember that good lenses are expensive; can be even more than the camera for one good lens.

The Alphas are the DSLRs for Sony.

So is it able to capture images in raw for my photoshop uses, also when you say “memory stick” does that mean any SD card?

There is no mention of RAW format in the link above - you would need to research more by reading some reviews. So I assume it will save all photos as jpg type; they will still work in photoshop.

Memory stick is a Sony propriatory flash storage system - it used to be a lot more expensive than SD etc. but I have not looked at the prices lately. If you decided to buy this camera now and brought some memory sticks then changed to another brand later you would not be able to use the memory - there is a chance that the next camera would not support SD either but more devices can use it like laptops.

great camera i love to but this!!!

About 5 month ago I buy a Sony a33 DSLR. It’s very good choice for hobbys and family photos…

What would be a good option in the 280$ range for a camera that has “SD” memory and can shoot in raw?

I have this camera and is very good.

For that price range, I don’t know of many cameras that you can change the lenses on etc, but you might want to look more into a Canon PowerShot S95 with 10.1 MP

It’s good for beginners and hobbyists.

I’m. Looking for one that can capture images in the RAW format for editing in photoshop at school, ideas ?

I think before learning to edit RAW format you should learn to adjust levels, exposure, saturation and some basic adjustments in jpg. (With photoshop or GIMP).

I’ve worked alot with the .jpg, .png, .giff and .tiff , all from images on the web.I have just never owned a camera. well… one from walmart for the family. besides i’m confident i’ll pick up working with “.raw” in a few month.

any ideas?

Panasonic Lumix FZ38 has RAW and is a super-zoom camera too.

I wouldn’t get this camera. If you look at the specs, it says it has 9 megapixels and a 20x zoom. Those two together cause a huge problem, the 20x zoom sounds like a good feature but most people forget that you should NEVER zoom to get a good picture. And 9 megapixels is just a BAD quality to a photo. I would try and find a better camera…

Have a look to FUJIFILM FinePix HS20EXR (it has RAW)

It’s not all about megapixels. Lens quality and sensor size matter as much. I guarantee my old 6 megapixel konica minolta and a carl zeiss lense takes a better picture than any compact with twice as many pixels.

Thanks I sided with “Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35” I got a great deal on amazon for a refurbished unit.

That camera is good for taking pictures for friends and family…

I think its okay for $280. That great dslr.