Can I contact celebrities on Twitter?

Hi,
I want to contact a lot of celebrities on Twitter and ask them to check my site and promote if they like it. My question is: Can I do that without being banned from Twitter, or being rude or even harming the image of my site?
I don’t mean to spam them. May be one message to each celebrity. Also, I’m want to target the ones that are average famous. I mean those that have may be few thousand followers and not the ones that have a millions, so that I have at least some chance of them reading my message.
Thanks!

Jhones, Yes you can definitely do it… There is not any restriction by Twitter so no need to worry about that. But my understanding is most of the celebrities does not respond to off-topic things… Otherwise everybody will start using them for their site promotions… But there is nothing to loose so you can give it a try… Good Luck :slight_smile:

1. Spam is spam no matter how you try to disguise it.
  2. You can’t DM someone who doesn’t follow you, so you would only be able to add it to their news feed. If I was your follower and saw those types of request on your profile, I would stop following you immediately.
  3. How would you like it if you woke up tomorrow and your twitter feed was cluttered with fan requests to endorse their sites? Might you be a little annoyed?
  4. You want to contact celebs that are paid to endorse high-profile products such as clothing, cosmetics, and automobiles to give your website a free endorsement? Simple common sense says, no.

I guess the only way is befriend them in twitter first. Follow them and then retweet what they post. Until they get familiar to you already.

@shyflower For points 1 and 3: Like I said, I do not want to spam them but just one tweet per celebrity. My one tweet to them will not clutter their news feed at all. Also, I have 5 followers until now, as I just made my account, so I’m not worried about them leaving. Moreover, I might tweet perhaps 50 celebs over a weeks time, so they are not concentrated. For point 2: Actually I do not want them to advertise my website, but rather check it out and use it if they like it and of course naturally they would be advertising it.
I just want to know if people do this, and what is the best way to do it. But thanks for your remarks.
@likends Thanks, I try doing that.

Thanks, I just want to know if there are perhaps ‘best practices’ on doing this. Like how many celebs should I approach in one day or which ones, (celebs with how many celebs are more likely to respond to your request, hundreds thousands or tens of thousands, I know definitively not millions.)

I’ll suggest you to first study their tweets. Are they responding their fans? If yes then when? So do the homework first and then build a strategy and go ahead… 2-3 contacts per day along with other regular tweets won’t be a problem.

You can tweet to them and target them they will be able to view it but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they will pay attention to what you’re saying. But it’s worth a shot.

moreover i dont think so that the celebrities manage their twitter accounts of their own, but it depends on the level of celebrity you are going to follow, from my own perception the biggest celebs twitter accounts managing by some external sources and their official websites too and i also agree with the above comment that they wont care about these lines to visit a particular website to promote.

Yah…of course you can do it. You can follow them, retweet their posts and also by sending them direct messages you will be familiar with them… Then check if they are responding to you or not. If yes, you r successful…

Jyoti
ABCPune

Thank you all for your answers. I will definitely consider all of your remarks on this. However, I’m actually going to launch a web2.0 website which is very similar to a social network but still quite different. I want tips on how I can get a lot of people to check my website ones I launch it. Can you provide me any tips or places where I can learn about all this? Somehow it’s really hard to find such info on google on this. Thanks!

You won’t be able to make anybody visit your website until the person is having any interest in that criterion or if he/she is your friend.

So how exactly do websites like Reddit or Twitter; or so many different forums and other sites that rely on user generated content get famous. I understand what you are saying, but this is what I need help with. How can I get people in the start to check out my site?

Most sites in the social world started with a small network of people they knew who elsewhere. They acted as influencers in their own way and they spread it out. If you don’t have that network then you have to find ways to build up early awareness through more traditional marketing means in order to build up your network of advocates.

You should definately try! My guess is that celebs don`t even post on social media themselves, but worth a shot :slight_smile:

You can follow them on twitter, and like their page on Facebook. and can add them in G+ Circle to get update.

Initially, you should know the interests of your people (celebrities), tweet regularly about their interests, then follow them and re-tweet their tweets, they may look back to you & your tweet, so they may follow you back.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Yes you can do it .But make sure don’t ping and post too many messages and tweets which make them to make them to report you as spam.

Yes you can contact any celebrity you want on twitter, you won’t be banned. But just think is your site that wonderful that these celebrities will take out some time from there daily schedule and promote it for you?

Yes you can, follow these 5 steps: 1)Log in to your Twitter account; 2) Visit the celebrity’s Twitter profile and check that the account is verified by Twitter; 3) Click the gray button with a graphic of a person’s bust and a downward-pointing arrow beneath the celebrity’s bio; 4) Click “Mention (username)” from the drop-down menu that appears. A pop-up dialog box appears, prompting you to tweet the celebrity; 5) Type your message to the celebrity and click the “Tweet” button.