Can I use wikipedia content on my site?

I was going to do this for my site

Write out the first 4 or 5 lines from a Wiki article and then put [Read the rest at Wikipedia]

Thats allowed, right? A snippet then linking to the whole article?

I think the real question here is whether this is a content writing forum or a how to do everything in your power not to write forum. Maybe a cut and paste forum would be more apropos for several of the threads.

For this particular thread, perhaps “shopping for an agreeable opinion” would be a better topic. I don’t think anything anyone could possibly say would dissuade a single person from what they’ve already decided to do. In other words, this isn’t an information thread - it’s a validation thread.

Although the pseudo question mark is a nice touch.

Actually reading the thread is a waste of time, just go ahead and do what you know you’re going to do anyway.

YOu need to rewrite the content no matter what u use. Else it will be counted as duplicate.

Get the theme from wherever you like, but present in your own words.

you may reproduce those content or give source of the article or content which is from wikipedia.

I think you can look for some services that provide a good unique content to your site.

Copying content from another website is not bad provided some value addition is done by yourself. You must apply your own mind as to what are your target customers looking at.

So in my mind it is better to get some ideas from otherwebsites but it should be presentable in your own words.

a breach of copyright and is illegal unless you have permission from the copyright owner (in writing so that you can prove it if challenged).

its a bad idea to copy, i won’t recommend, original written content willgive you a higher valuation to your website. Its simple if users find same content else where they wont return to your website again. only thing you can take is facts and figures which cannot be changed. say year of establishment general data of measurements etc.

Using content directly from another website be in wikipedia or any other site is breaching copyright laws. Also, why would you want to have duplicate content on your site? So you can end up in good old google’s supplemental index? Use the information you find on wikipedia but change it, add your own words to it, rewrite it so you are still giving the facts but you are not plagiarising. Let’s be honest, how much “original” content is out there? The information is pretty much the same, just different ways of saying it. So be creative!

I think it is a bad idea, everybody knows stealing is bad. This my also result for your indexed pages on google’s to be supplementary. But from my opinion its okay to used others content but make sure to put the source of this content and also summarized that content.

hi, you can use its content but stealing as you know is stealing so…just try being original!!!

Did you read the thread? Comply with a few provisions and it is not stealing to use Wikipedia content on your site.

The best way to stay away from plagiarism is to understand the content completely and write it in your own words, whether you use Wikipedia or eZines or any other sources.

But then, since the Wikipedia has user-generated contents, you might want to think about looking for more reliable sources, such as those written by experts.

Rewriting is always the best option.

Logodiver: Custom logo design

unless the Wikipedia content was itself stolen from somewhere else.

Even then it isn’t you stealing, it is someone else stealing.

If you have some reason to believe that the content is stolen then you are potentially jointly responsible, but something being on Wikipedia is no more indication of it being stolen than something being in a pawn shop.

Well…wikipedia is really good source of content related to everything and you can find a lot of information related to any field at wikipedia but totaly copying its content for your site will be a bad practice.

You can get an idea and information related to your website at wikipedia but you should write it in your own words including your keywords to publish content on your site.

I use Wiki as a information sources to write all about content topic I need, Nice to read all comments above, Many of Website done re-write content ( Personally seem by myself)

you can rephrase it or maybe link them