Can one man change the [Rails] world?

It appears Yehuda Katz is on a mission to do just that.

He has undertaken an ambitious project to [re]simplify Rails on OSX. And I applaud him (I also pledged some money to support the project).

I have been involved with Ruby-on-Rails since about 2007 and feel a similar frustration with the changes (albeit they are enhancements) it has experienced. I believe there is a very, very large majority of RoR developers on OSX (as compared to “the other” OSes).

What is YOUR opinion on the subject?

I certainly think it is a worthy cause. I am not, nor have I ever, used a Mac or OSX so I can’t comment on how easy or difficult it is to get up and running with Ruby or Rails for that particular environment. There has been quite a bit of talk about this and it seems there are several people with projects trying to make Ruby development easier on OSX.

I personally use Linux (specifically Fedora) for development and while there were a few challenges in getting everything set up, I think it was relatively easy.

Time will tell how these projects pan out and if they truly make entry into the Rails world any easier.

We started using Vagrant for these environmental issues.