Can paypal take money out of or freeze money in someone's bank account?

Funny you should mention that. Let’s see, if I owned a retail store and wanted to accept Visa, what do I have to do? Get in touch with them, sign a contract that I will (basically) ID buyer/bearer of Visa card. Later, if I accepted a fraudelent card but I followed all the rules, would Visa charge me for the loss? No way!
Same thing here. I just followed the rules where you acted on my behalf and you ID’s the buyer - didn’t you??

And from my side, this is how things work: I see Money Order, I say great, got the money, let me ship the item. I see PayPal confirmation of payment, I say great, got the money, let me ship the item. Well, not bloody likely. Apparently, I can end up with no money and no item regardless of this confirmation of yours.
Here’s the way you can get the money from me: get my item back!! In the meantime, your access to my bank account is denied!

I heard the same thing from your CS person - and it’s not quite true. Everywhere in your legalese, you will find that in order to qualify for SPP the seller must be in US or Canada and the buyer must be in US. Otherwise - no SPP. Well, my buyer is in Canada. Am I protected - no way! Fantastic! I sure hope people read these discussions before they allow PayPal payments!!
And here’s the excerpt from your leagelese that confirms what I said:

Read the whole thing at https://www.paypal.com/row/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/pop/spp_eligibility.

lcdata, Please direct customer service issues to PayPal directly and not through SitePoint. We are not mediators. If you want advice from other members about your situation that’s fine but don’t use us as a customer service method for PayPal.

If you have something to say to them about your business relationship with them or your account, do it directly.

Thanks,

Just lost another $240 to paypal. Already lost over $300 in the past two months, so now it’s over $500. They reversed an April 2nd sale due to possible fraud, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

Actually, with a Merchant Account, if a card holder doesn’t learn about identity theft until after the statement arrives, they are well within their rights to dispute the charge. This can be as much as 60 days after the transaction occurred. The credit card companies are not going to “eat” that disputed charge, so it is charged back to the merchant.

The difference between PayPal and a Merchant Account, is Merchant Account charge backs are always deducted directly from the checking account. You are given the opportunity to challenge the charge back, but 99% of the time, favor is with the card holder … even when you do everything right!

This is a part of doing business; it’s not one of the more pleasant parts, but one none-the-less. Most business people factor a 20% loss into their pricing calculations to cover things like this.

Since Alexis is apparently still posting I thought I’d present some more evidence in my favor.

http://www.paypalwarning.com/WallOfShame/Default.asp

Posts 3 and 5 on that page (perhaps more) are instances of an individually successfully disputing/blocking paypal’s withdrawal of funds from their bank account. So much for it not being possible huh?

And your point is? The question raised was: can PayPal deduct charge back fees from my checking account. A PayPal representative posted in the affirmative, albeit rarely, and also noted that the policy changed effective January 2004.

You’re spending entirely too much time obsessing about PayPal! If you don’t like it, don’t use it!

And your point is?

My point is that your advice that you could not block and or reverse such a funds transfer was incorrect. The poster asked if paypal could deduct from their checking account. I said if that happened it could be reversed or blocked. You insisted I was wrong. Ergo I provided two instances of people doing exactly what I said they could.

You said:

“They have no authority to withdraw or do anything else with your bank account.”

Please go back and read the thread. In so doing, you’ll also see that I never said a withdrawal could not be disputed if it was made in error.

I’m still not sure what your point is, other than to have the last word. If it’s that important to you, the last word is yours.

In case there’s any confusion: PayPal will only debit a bank account when instructed to do so by a user.

I understand your point but I’m not trying to get mediation from you. This is simply discussion and Mr. Breit signature includes PayPal inc. therefore I saw nothing wrong with telling him what I think of that company.

Hi,
while I am new to this forum I have been having a similar discussion on my host’s forum.
I know it is hard to lose a lot of money like that but I have had family on the other side of the problem. My dad’s card was stolen and used without his knowledge. Practically wiped his bank account out.
He finally got the charges reversed. I am sure a lot of businesses hated to have that happen, but a business takes a chance when accepting credit cards.
As the name states “credit” cards are a form of credit, not cash. If you extend credit to a customer you take the chance they won’t pay. I know this first hand also. A merchant account would do the same thing.
If you were wal-mart and accepted charges that were fraudulent you would lose the money there unless you could prove the person was the purchaser.

I suggest anyone accepting credit cards come up with their own verification system. If you have email addresses use them. Check the customer yourself.

It is terrible but credit cards aren’t cash.
Mike

Well I’ve had some issues with paypal past and present.

I play an online game. And well when I left the game I sold of my stuff on ebay. Back in september I got nailed when I sold my account. He did a reversal for $735 and i was out cash :frowning: I didn’t know that could happen and since I’m a college student I was up **** creek.

Now 7 months later I won the case on it and I got me money back. Wasn’t expecting it but it was a sight to see I tell you.

Now same thing happing once again leaving a game and got swindled out $595. This time I have lots and lots of records of convo’s, the actual transaction ingame (it keeps logs of the cash ingame thats transfered and to the person).

Now he said he didn’t know what happened with it but had a friend send me $500 to keep me happy. Low and behold his friends ebay account was forced closed the next day. Then comes the kicker as I talked with one ebay guy that had the problem.

The guy was using 2 different paypal accounts, different e-mails and all, but using the same e-mail name for messanger services. Now thats what I call odd. And the thing is, I talked to him on all 3 accounts he was switching through them.

Odd very very odd I say. All I can hope is luck here.

When all else fails, you can also get them to sign a contract stating they agree to purchase said product at the agreed price. In the contract state that if they do a chargeback, they will cover the costs associated with recovering the money and enforcing the contract. Can’t go wrong that way!

When I make large purchases, it is not unusual for me to have to sign and fax in a contract. It is the reality of “Card Not Present” transactions.

which results in a ‘Don’t accept credit cards’ and that results fortunately in a ‘Paypal is obsolete’

Chargebacks are a fact of life… I can tell you from SitePoint’s experience that we have a LOT more problems with chargebacks coming from credit card users through our merchant account (WorldPay) than we do for PayPal transactions - of which we’ve had well over 1000 of (two or three were disputed).

If I did the math on WorldPay vs. PayPal chargeback rates, I think PayPal’s chargeback rate would be about half of credit cards. It’s a fact of life for online sellers.

If you ran a real-world store and you kept signed receipts, chargebacks wouldn’t be a problem but you’d have to deal with “inventory shrinkage” which would cost you just as much, if not more.

Walmart looses tens of thousands of merchandise due to thiefs every day – that doesn’t mean they’ll stop doing business, it’s just another expense. Same thing with SitePoint, Amazon, or any other ecommerce store.

Normally with a visa card you should have been given a credit limit. If you have spent up to that limit and then deposit cash or cheques into that visa credit card account you should be able to access those funds immediately.

The next time you have a cheque, deposit it into your visa card account. When you get home and check via the internet, you will find that your available funds will automatically increase by the amount deposited.

[COLOR=“Black”][B]Now here is the thing. I am a premier PP member and some guy did a cashback on me over paypal.
The Item I sold was eligable for seller protection but PP couldnt get the money or Item back jet cause it takes about 75 days to make them do that. So they closed the case and told me they still work on it in my behalf but I have to pay for it within 60 days.
I said nope that buyer is a scamer and I am eligable for seller protection, I DONT PAY. :cool:
I know I dont need to but PP just tock it out my account couvered as EBay bill payment:eye:
Well I called the Bank and they said wait till its seattled.:injured:

My question is is it possible to chargeback PP because they are not eligable to takle that money out??? [/B][/COLOR]
:shifty:

If Paypal took the money out of your checking account, there is very little that can be done. This is why I always recommend a checking account just for Paypal. If this were to happen, there would be no money for Paypal to take. And if they took it from a credit card, a chargeback could possibly be done, but make sure to read Paypal’s terms (I remember a long time ago that Paypal would suspend / terminate your account if you did a CC chargeback.)

It sounds like you need to wait as Paypal and the bank suggested to see what the final outcome will be.