Can someone recommend a good video portal to host our video content?

Hi,

At work we are running a competition, where the entrants have to submit a short film. Once the entries have been accepted (i.e. deemed appropriate) it should be possible to view these films via our web page. We are expecting quite a few entries.

To host these short films we would like to use a video portal (i.e. a third party service and not our own servers) and then embed the films in our web pages, rather like one does with YouTube.

We are looking for a video portal which doesn’t have advertising (rules out YouTube). We would also like to keep the rights to our video material (also rules out YouTube). We don’t mind paying for such a service.

My question: Can anyone recommend such a video portal? Does anyone have any experience of hosting video content with a third party service.

Would be really grateful for any advice or recommendations.

There are other services like Vimeo and Blip TV that might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the reply Ralph.

I had investigated and discounted Vimeo, because they do not allow you to upload videos you did not create yourself, at least that’s what they state on their sign up page. The videos we would be uploading wouldn’t have been created by us.

I hadn’t heard of Blip.tv. I will look into that. Thanks.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be extremely grateful.

You can also just upload the videos to your own site and get a free video player to present them all—something like JW Player or FlowPlayer.

Indeed, but if we get too many entries, there could be an issue with bandwidth.
Plus the fact that you may have issues with different file formats, file size etc.
Finding a portal that specializes in video content delivery is my preferred option.
Nonetheless, thanks for recommending a couple of player. I will check these out, too.

Did a reply from 39moose get deleted?
I had an email saying he replied to the thread, but the post isn’t appearing here.

Part of my message broke the rules of the Forum so it was deleted. I understand better the rules and will follow them more closely.

My response was that I’ve tried Wistia, Vzaar and iPlayerHD.com. Wistia and Vazaar are very good but also very expensive. iPlayerHD costs me $30 a month with 100 GB of bandwidth. They have plenty of features and great live support. Another company is Brightcove but they are even more expensive. Good luck!

Hi 39moose. Welcome to SitePoint. :slight_smile:

That’s a nice list. I hadn’t heard of some of those.