Can we save our best OSS programmers from burn-out?

Recently, well-known open source programmer Steve Klabnik effectively removed himself from Twitter and pulled back from community interaction. This was done, from what I can tell, in response to negative sentiments posted about Steve and Rust, a language that Steve created (which is gaining a ton of steam). Steve indicated that this had been a long time coming, which is upsetting.

Why does this happen?

Having already seen one prominent Rubyist disappear from the community (_why), I wonder how we can stop burn out and negativity from taking our best contributors. Or are programmers and the anonymity offered by the internet too much to overcome?

1 Like

Reading your post and nothing else - I know neither Steve, nor Rust - it doesn’t read like burn-out. It sounds more like he’s protecting himself from criticism he doesn’t feel he should have to deal with.

Well, I think it was something that built up over time, not just a one-time bout of criticism. From what I know about Steve, his skin is appropriately thick.

Regardless, can we make a feedback loop for OSS that doesn’t push folks away?

Not sure why this happened, as I do not know Steve. Having worked in ruby, python and php, if I wanted to ask a question I would hesitate the most in the ruby community. My perception is that the odds of getting gratuitously flamed back seem to be the highest.

Really? I have always felt like the Ruby community was incredible. Everyone has always been friendly and welcoming, in my experience.

Do you have examples of what you mean?

I do think that the community is great, as I feel the same of the other communities I mentioned. So,not any specific examples as it’s been too long, just my personal perception as I have surfed through the three communities is that in general the ruby community seems to be a bit more picky in its choices. I really felt bad when _why left as I never understood the reason behind it.

On a brighter note, Ryan Bates seems to have resurfaced (at least on Twitter).
It would be awesome if he was to start Railscasts back up.

Yeah, the whole _why thing is a mystery. I often wonder if THAT’s why he did it…

It’s great that Ryan is back. RailsCasts was such a big part of my Ruby learning. In his case, I think he just got overwhelmed with work. I don’t think anyone unduly criticized him. I mean, how could you?

Ditto.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.