Can you help a content writer who is a fresher?

I am a content writer who is a fresher and has recently joined a software company.
I have already written some contents for some websites.
Can someone tell me how to improve my content so that they become more SEO friendly?
What features should I add to bring more visitors to my website and make them stay longer ?

Write about a subject you know. Write about things that people search for. Write about things no one has written about before. Write quality content using correct grammar and spelling. That’s it. No more and no less.

Unfortunately when you are writing for a client or an employer, you can’t always write about a subject you know. The first thing in writing good web content is to know who you are writing for. Even though your client or employer pays you, you aren’t writing for them. You are writing for their customers. Make sure you are writing for their demographic – age, income, location, etc.

If you are unschooled in the subject matter, research is your best friend. Read up on your subject until you can answer the questions the customers will ask. Look for a minimum of three credible sources. These are sources from experts in the subject or those which are cited with references you can check.

Study on how to write for the web. Formatting and typography are very important in capturing a visitors attention and keeping it.

A good place to start learning is to read through the stickies in this forum:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?523640-Any-online-guides-on-improving-your-Grammar

Some of these threads are quite old, so you may find some broken links in them. However, there are many good sources given in all three threads. Hope this helps.

Hi ,

Write unique content .Learn about the trending topics regarding your products or websites.Focus on your grammer .

Safe! :slight_smile:

Good questions Austin,

For your first question, there are some common conventions you should follow to make your writing more SEO friendly. When you write content, make sure it is centered around a single keyword and its variants. I’m not sure what you should do if asked to write it differently than that other than just do it if that’s the way they want it. If you are working for clients though and you are basically the boss, you should tell them that it is a best practice to structure your content like I’m about to tell you.

You should always have key phrases in headers and then the copy below the headers should be about the key phrase and also use the key phrase and its variants. Using synonyms is also very important. Pay attention to your keyword density as well. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3% is good however make it sound natural. Remember to write for readers and not for search engines. Search engines come second.

For your second question, there are really two parts. Bringing people to your site and making them stay require different tactics. For making them stay, you should follow the advice of other members here and write about something you are passionate for. I know you can’t always do that if you are writing for clients however you mentioned “my” website (implying that it’s yours) so if it’s yours, you can write about whatever you want. When you write about something you like, it shows and your personality comes out in your writing. You are also able to devote much more time to it and produce quality work.
For driving traffic to your site, you could try social media, PPC, SEO, forum or blog commenting or offline advertising to get more visitors.

For writing better seo content, this article should help,

Here are also some tips for driving traffic to a website,

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Thank you all so much for all the very valuable suggestions. I even saw and read the contents of the links given. Now I have understood the value of regular blogging and I am trying to follow it. I have started writing blogs regularly.Thanks once again.

Read lots of software-focused blogs and news sites. Get a feel for their writing style. Also, study the different categories of software you are covering. Finally, I noticed several grammar problems in your post. You might want to invest in a grammar checker software and/or take refresher English courses online. In this brave new world of high quality SEO, AUTHORITY is the key and you can’t be authoritative with bad grammar and shallow subject knowledge. Finally, your work product must be engaging. It must get people’s attention and open their minds to what you are saying.

Today, search engine are working to improve user experience so If you want to make your site seo friendly then see if a human reads your article what he would like to see more like images, videos etc.

Select an appropriate title for the content and focus on the language especially grammar.The most important information is to be placed first.Make sure you are posting important contents for the websites.If you are writing a content for a site,you need to research more on the website.