Cannot Override Cufon Formatting

#1: I would like to override the Cufon font formatting by remove/replacing the ‘width’ attribute it places on most of my Heading tags. For example, in the blog heading “Enterprise Zones…”, you’ll see that the second line is not spaced in alignment with the first line.

#2: In IE7 with this page, on the right column the heading ‘Latest Blog’ is in the middle of the Archives. Why?

Thank you.

1. You’re still using Cufon? What is this, 2002?

2. Seriously, switch to webfonts. They don’t have all the BS around them. Use Font Squirrels generator to turn your TTF into all the needed formats… that way they behave as normal page elements instead of the decade out of date VML+Scripting mess that is Cufon.

In general though, I’d say that’s the LEAST of your problems on that page with the illegible color contrasts and uselessly undersized fixed metric fonts – sending me diving for the zoom to even TRY to use the page. The misuse/abuse of the H1 tag, endless wrapping elements for nothing, dropdown menu that’s more 1997 than 2011, XML prolog meaning you have to hack around quirks mode in IE, 7 stylesheets when you don’t even HAVE multiple media targets, and 1.3 MEGABYTES of javascript for christmas only knows what basically making the page not just unusable, but probably resulting in massive bounce as nobody is willing to wait for it to load.

You’re basically using 1.7 megabytes in 40 separate files on a page that there’s no reason for it to be more than 20 files totalling around 100k… Just the markup alone; 17k of HTML for 1.34k of plaintext means it’s such a convoluted mess, my advice (and I say this a lot lately) is to throw it ALL AWAY and start over clean – it’s so out of date on methodologies it would take longer to fix properly than it would to rewrite.

In terms of bandwidth use, speed, accessibility, functionality and maintainability, there’s nothing there even worth trying to salvage.

Deathshadow has pretty much summed up your core issues with the site. Looks great, but at what cost?

I’d strongly suggest you consider his points.

With respect to Cufon fonts, I initially used them as a headline font replacement option in my commercial WordPress theme, then deprecated them in favor of Google Web Fonts. I have [URL=“http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?812344-A-Google-web-fonts-explosion!-Closing-in-on-400-fonts”]several skeptics here on their efficacy, but I have nothing but positive things to say about them in comparison to Cufon.