Can't set a password for MySql 5.5

Hello.
I installed MySql 5.5 in Windows 7 Home Basic but the problem is that I can’t set a new password for MySql. I followed the installation process stated in the book “BUILD YOUR OWN DATABASE DRIVEN WEB SITE USING PHP & MYSQL BY KEVIN YANK 4TH EDITION”.

Another thing is that when I open MySql 5.5 Command Line Client and enter my password it will beep once and close immediately. I also tried putting root as the password in the Command Line Client but it does the same thing, also I tried hitting enter and leaving the password blank but still it didn’t work. And when I run the mysqladmin program it will open and run a bunch of codes and close immediately.

I already checked if mysqld.exe is running in my system and it is included in the list under the processes tab in task manager. When I typed in mysqladmin -u root status in command prompt it shows an error message:
mysqladmin: connect to server at ‘localhost’ failed
error: ‘Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)’
I tried to set a new password through typing mysqladmin -u root -p password “newpassword” in the command prompt but it doesn’t work it shows the same error.

Please help me with this error. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile: