CAPTCHA insanity?

Oh! quite a enjoyable reading!

Heh… it might be an attempt at equity for humans but it’s definitely an attempt at discrimination for bots. A bot will usually submit the form once and fade away. We try for 5 times and still won’t let it go. We are thus far less smarter. :frowning:

That’s right. I remember an error message telling you that these CAPTCHAs do not show up for premium members. So basically they’ve been using CAPTCHAs not for the purpose of “recognizing humans” but for “recognizing nonpaying humans and torturing them”. :smiley:

HAHAHA

Yea, this is so funny. Ive also tried downloading from rapid share, but i eventually gave up. hahaha.

And wow… that is quite a math solution on that link… geez… lol

I’ve beend downloading from rapidshare and had no problems with this particular type of captchas. Can you not tell a difference between a dog and a cat? Some captchas are ridiculous, true, but not this in particular.

Regarding the math problem captcha, considering what kind of site it is, you probably not wanna join anyway if you’re not able to solve a simple 6th grade level math problem.

I don’t have a problem with any of these, but for instance the yahoo games one is indeed a pain in the ass.

Well, and what would you do if you were them? Make it as easy as possible for all to suck your resources for free?

rapidshare makes those ridiculous captchas not for security (although I’m sure thats part of the reason), but to make users sign up for their premium account.

Rapidshare’s captcha is by far the worst.

While captchas are getting more complex, captcha breaking software is evolving at the same time, but not humanbeings. One day we all will need captcha breakers to enter those sites :slight_smile:

rapidshare do it deliberately to piss people off into buying their crappy accounts!

they could have easily added recaptcha which is easier to read and more accessible and hasn’t been broken

You either went to Kindergarten schools for genious kids or you didn’t refresh the page enough times to get a difficult enough question :rofl:

I can solve it the first time round but it’s still damn hard and you need to stare at the screen close up to distinguish between the frickin dog’s tail and the cat. This captcha sucks but I think it accomplishes it’s intended purpose.

I’ve refreshed it enough times to find 3 different types of math problems - any of them your common 6th grader would solve. And I went to a normal public school and I didn’t even do exceptionally well. BTW, if you refresh it enough times, you can get one of “4+3-1” type. I just have to hope that doesn’t require one to attend Kindergarten school for genious kids. Come on now!

Wow, thank god I use a premium rapidshare account. No annoying captchas. Here are some more:

Good luck getting those right!

Here’s another RapidShare capture from Reddit:

excuse me for asking but what is Rapidshare ? :slight_smile:

the worlds biggest illegal warez/pron hosting site

alexa #11

wow there are some really nice CAPTCHAs, hahah :smiley:

File sharing service.

So if they’re working for you they should work for everyone else? Maybe you’ve got sharp eyes but most people don’t. Even if someone is not visually impaired he or she will most probably experience some sort of low vision difficulties due to different browsing factors, e.g. badly set screen colors, big screen resolutions, bad room lightening, etc. And if everyone can recognize their dogs and cats just as easily, then they wouldn’t have put them in the first place. Sometimes, there’s no actual way to recognize some characters and you have to guess it. For example, “I” which is capital i and “l” which is small L are exactly the same. You have to pick up one choice and see if it works or not. (more info)

I’m quite sure that much more people are having problems with Rapidshare’s CAPTCHAs than you think. :slight_smile:

Why not? They do have a business model, don’t they? If they can’t figure out a way to convert nonpaying users into premium members other than using those insane CAPTCHAs then they’re already digging their own grave. Free file hosting services are spreading like fire over the Internet and people will eventually switch over to services that don’t frustrate them with such impossible CAPTCHAs.

Also, trying to control their resources by putting the effort on the user is not only bad but also unethical, because CAPTCHAs are meant to recognize humans not restrict their access to services. They’re already using different programming techniques to control the site’s traffic and usage; cookies, sessions, IP matching, JavaScript counters, etc. so why not continue developing these techniques to be more effective and efficient?

This is terrible… :smiley: