Car shops in the future: Google & Apple cars

I was recently thinking about Google and Apple expanding into the auto market with their cars, when someone in the office mentioned they took their car in for a service today. It got me thinking about the types of computers we have in cars now compared to the kinds of computers (and in turn, code) that will be in cars of the future.

The computers now are quite primitive compared to what is presumably being built right now - surely something that my current mechanic wouldn’t be able to handle in the future.

What do you think car repair shops will look like in the future? Would devs and programmers work in auto shops alongside mechanics, or would it be a speciality shop, like panel repairs, spray painting, electrical and radiator work now?

From what I’ve seen, it’s getting harder and harder to be a mechanic, as more and more of a car’s functionality is buried away in computers. The car companies don’t make it all that easy for people outside their network to access the information they need to do repairs. I know a few mechanics who’ve had to move on because they can’t work on the newer cars.

So I guess the repair shops of the future will be more corporate-like centers … and of course, more expensive. :frowning:

Hey, but don’t you know that these new computer-driven cars won’t crash any more? Yippee! (Apparently computers don’t make mistakes. )

As more cars become electric, I presume they won’t have radiators. Perhaps they need fans, though. Not sure. But I won’t shed a tear if radiators become a thing of the past.

1 Like

This is, indeed, an interesting question.
The fundamental motive operation of automobiles has not changed in many years; with the exception of the more widespread appearance of Electric and Hybrid.
So, I would say “mechanical” repairs (engine operation, brakes, wheels, lights) are no different.

To the point about ‘computer control’, though. As a life-time software developer (my career began with microprocessors long before the Personal Computer) I have a very strong opinion that good software is easy for anyone to use. I believe the key to these [yet-to-be-developed] systems is a good User Interface.
In much the same way Doctors have adjusted to using more sophisticated electronic diagnostics tools (and it has made them more effective at their job) I think auto-mechanics will treat these changes in the same way.
The “Factory Certification” that many auto dealerships brag about in their advertisements is merely being taught how to use and interface with the proprietary systems that exist on the product.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.