Career Advice - Returning to IT World

Hello everyone,

I’m almost 30 years old and for the last 7 years I’ve been a Police Officer. I’m currently a qualified Detective investigating serious, complex, organised crime.

Prior to this I was a Web Developer - i.e. 7 years ago. I coded PHP (Some Object Orientated), MySQL, CSS, HTML all by hand and on a Linux platform using Vim.

I would like advice as I’m considering getting back into IT with a view to leaving the Police to go into a job in this industry. I’m going to try and re-learn what I used to do which will take a few months although I don’t think it will be too difficult.

My questions are:

1. I have a pretty much clean slate. So re-training (or paying for a course) is an option. Would anyone recommend other things to do IT wise? E.g. Oracle, iPhone / Android app development? These are two areas I don’t know anything about. It doesn’t have to be web development.

2. In terms of learning PHP, MySQL again (well more refreshing my memory), what other languages are key at the moment, as in what else should I try to head towards learning? For example I see a lot about C, C#, .NET on job adverts. I have read up on some C in the past using my K&R book but nothing really that significant.

I appreciate these my be stupid, basic and naieve questions but I’m just brainstorming at the moment and reviewing my options.

Thanks everyone,
Red Rabbit

That’s a good decision of returning to the IT field. I would recommend you to learn new emerging language like Django, python which are new in IT field. Informatica is one of the fields that is having a wide scope in future. Try to take training in these fields. Being an employee in the IT support service provider I can recommend you these languages.

I disagree. Rather than learning “new emerging languages”, it would be better to focus on languages that are actually in demand among potential employers. The best way to do that is to study the job adverts in the press and on recruitment websites.

Personally, I don’t regard Django or Python as “new emerging”. But that’s not the point.

I’d also advise against paying for a programming course at this stage. In general, going on a course does not impress employers - or, at least, not as much as being able to demonstrate hands-on experience. Also, the cost can be prohibitive for an individual, especially if you are between jobs. Better to settle into a new job first, and then ask the employer to send you on a course.

Mike

What are you interested in?

Website development? Networking? Server management? App development?

There’s quite a number of directions to go these days.

you should first concentrate on your dream, than select the right job either in web development, web designing or civil services.