Career Shift, How?

I’m currently employed (in the field of systems development ) but I’m considering applying for another job. If I’m expose .net developer now I would like apply for let’s say a Database Administrator. What should I or where I should focus when I get interview? Wait, were there companies accepting applicant like that?:slight_smile:

i guess you can always try to apply for the job and see what happens. I met a guy who has a degree in psychology but work as a database admin. So, you never know until you just give it a go.

thats right i agree but first u have to know about ur self that what u want to do in future,because this thought would be very useful to reach ur aim.

So, how to i tell to the interviewer my reasons for leaving? I dont want to sound i was leaving because I dont enjoy my work. it might be the case, they thought thats why im leaving my developer job is because I dont enjoy my work.

search the other job but dont leave that job. when you get better job so u will have the reason to leave

is it ok if I tender my resignation so I can focus on finding a better job?

I will suggest you to not leave your current job until you get a new one but related to your field. Get sticky with this job and try to spend good time here. As the rolling stone is easy to move no matter how heavy it is but the stone which is at rest took much time to move.

k thanks…

Yeah, its good you should apply but you should know that you can it easily. First,should think about future.

You should stay in your current job until you get another one. If you are interested in becoming a database administrator then why not do a self study course from home - either online or on CD-ROM. This will help you to find out if that is the right way forward with your new career.

I realize this thread is a month old, but I thought there was something valuable that no one else brought up. Is there, or will there be a position for database administrator, or whatever the position is, available at your current employer? It would be tremendously easier to shift duties with an employer who already trusts and knows you than, to find a new job where you have to prove yourself in a new field.