Caught between code change

My first step in learning web design was taking basic HTML online, followed by a basic CSS coarse online. After those, I followed up with basic XHTML/CSS. What I first learned in the XHTML coarse was something along the lines of “Forget most of what you learned about HTML, as much of it is on the deprecated list, etc.” After taking basic XHTML, I followed up with intermediate XHTML/CSS. Now, there’s HTML 5/CSS3 and I find myself caught in the middle of the advances and I’m not yet proficient in web design. My question is what foundation do I continue to build on? HTML?, XHTML???, Or…is it possible to jump right into HTML5/CSS3 and not end up left behind from the get-go?

Thanks for the help

Hi gidd. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

HTML5 / CSS3 really just build on what was there before, but they are also still in development, so while it’s worth playing around with them, their time still hasn’t really come. Standard HTML/XHTML/CSS2 are still very much current and will continue to be for many, many years to come, so focus on getting really confident with those, while having a bit of fun (when yu have time) seeing what’s coming with the newer versions.