CentOS 6.3 update PHP!

Hi all,

I’m using Joomla and I updated it to the latest version “3.0.0” … After that I was surprised to see this message : “Your host needs to use PHP 5.3.1 or higher to run this version of Joomla!”.

I was using PHP 5.2.17 and apache 2.2.22 . I contacted the customer service and they told me to use easyapache to upgrade PHP to 5.4 . I used easyApache but it gives me an error (specifically in PHP upgrade) and don’t complete the upgrade process.

I tried many tutorials on the internet but they don’t make sense. I upgraded Apache to 2.2.23 with “no php” option and when I browse the website it gives me : “Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.”

root@spes [~]# yum install php
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * atomic: www7.atomicorp.com
 * base: centos.mirroring.pulsant.co.uk
 * epel: mirrors.coreix.net
 * extras: centos.mirroring.pulsant.co.uk
 * rpmforge: www.mirrorservice.org
 * updates: centos.mirroring.pulsant.co.uk
Setting up Install Process
No package php available.
Error: Nothing to do  
root@spes [~]# php -v
PHP 5.2.17 (cli) (built: May 21 2012 09:24:45)
Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies  

Too complicated, I know, but this is because I have no experience . I’ll be so happy with any kind of help or advice. Thanks in Advance.

As you mentioned to Easyapache, I assume you are using cPanel/WHM?

Hi egystu,

Here is a list of questions that may help us if you provide answers:

• Have you made extensive php.ini changes where a reinstall versus an update might cause you a problem?
  • What is the error that you get when using EasyApache?
  • How comfortable are you with command line management?
  • Do you know how security and permissions are handled in Linux or more specifically with Apache and Apache’s directories?

In my experience upgrades very often don’t work in the Linux world (when speaking about servers) as their are many different ways people secure Linux servers and sometimes even the ‘Root’ style Sudo commands can’t execute installs on files and folders that are protected as ROOT. You may have to run EasyApache using SU instead of Sudo.

Regards,
Steve