China

So I know that I’d probably sell a lot in China if I got myself on their SEs, but I’m concerned about fraud.

I was hoping the fraud has died down since I last heard about it, but I just asked my gateway & they said there’s still a lot of fraud.

Who out there advertises & sells to China & what are your thoughts?

Michelle

No one?

Oh, not all people will like, there is bad, but most are good, so they have to learn to judge, but in general is still good.

That didn’t help me at all, but now I’m hungry :slight_smile:

Michelle

It’s a country with no cultural respect for property or intellectual rights.

China will be a haven for fraud for a long time to come, I wouldn’t touch that market with a ten foot pole if it was anything that was easily stolen. If you’re selling cars or washing machines or something physical from a retail location that would be different.

k

Have you tried to do biz over there?

Michelle

Ofcourse he hasn’t!

I say go for it.

Maybe try Singapore too while you’re at it :slight_smile:

Ok I’ll bite, LOL, have you done biz over there?

Michelle

I guess you can say that, yeah. Can I help you with anything?

I also don’t do business in Nigeria.

The only difference being that I don’t actually know anyone from Nigeria who has told me never to do business with that country.

China I know quite a few immigrants from who have told me not to and who refuse to buy anything from there if they can avoid it.

Lead in paint for toys, illegal amounts of lead in their toys, melamine in their formula, chemicals used to speed up the drying process for green tea, etc…

You raise several generations in a communist system where those who are corrupt and where you have to learn to abuse the system to survive and certain traits are going to rise to the forefront.

I’m loving my Volvo :lol:

I hear you, but you gotta keep in mind those were products for poor people by poor people (I’m guessing the same kinda people that left China and migrated to whereever it is you’re living). This is a fading problem though, with a new and rapidly growing middle class which can afford the same standards of living as us in the West, as well as government sanctions against any business who ****s up like that again.

What does that mean you guess? :slight_smile:

My products (the main ones) are e-books, so I am concerned about them stealing the material & reselling it as someone else mentioned.

The market is there for me, I just wonder about the risk & that’s even with the safety parameters I have in place.

Michelle

I do business in China and elsewhere in Asia, but I don’t target ethnic Chinese.

Have you looked into EPUB, Kindle and iPad?

Lynda.com: InDesign CS5 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad

Could always hire a coder to design a script that searches the web for any plagiarism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwbw9KF-ACY (click CC to enable subtitles)

And then hire a great Chinese lawyer.

Hi,

All good ideas, but I don’t offer my kits via those methods yet b/c they aren’t really books, they are kits where the files need to be printed out in order to be used. Some even in legal sized paper.

Plus at this point they are wrapped in a security software (.exe) so people can’t steal them, but we all know the Chinese can crack anything :slight_smile:

So when you say you don’t specifically market to the Chinese, who do you market to in that area & how?

Thanks

Michelle

Plus I don’t have the money to hire lawyers in China LOL

I deal with China on a regular basis, except I buy from them.

If you’re selling any kind of intellectual material, you should probably approach with extreme caution. From my experience, the Chinese are very honest and well-grounded people, but they view any type of intellectual property in the same light most North Americans view downloading music or movie…“it’s not really stealing”

k, thank you

Michelle

Better to start your business in Taiwan, Hong Kong or Singapore before you go into China.

I am a Taiwanese and I think know the difference between Chinese and Western culture. I have a friend who has his book printed and sold more than 20 editions in China, but he only got paid for the 1st edition.

How was he getting paid? Didn’t he get the money upfront?

I’m pretty sure HK is in China LOL

He got paid upfront for the 1st edition from the publisher. He found his book is in 22 edition in the bookstore a year later.

Maybe I can help you if you have interest in Taiwan.