Chrome and Safari - CSS not displaying

Hi,

one of my sites, SSG Development & Construction | About Us is not displaying the CSS, though it does in IE and FF. I have done some initial checking - tried validating the CSS and get this error:

Unknown error org.w3c.www.http.HttpInvalidValueException: Invalid content type.
No style sheet found

i have similar sites coded the same way and do not have any issue with them on any browsers.

help? Let me know what additional info i should provide to aid in helping me uncover the issue. By the way, i am not really coding anymore - so my skills are rusty.

many thanks in advance!

Shannon

Remove this from the top of your style sheet:

@charset "utf-8";

I suspect that’s causing the problem.

i removed that, still no change…any other ideas?

thanks!

If the stylesheet is accessed directly by URL using Safari, the file is downloaded rather than being displayed in the browser. Sounds related to server config.

The Safari error console reports the following error, so Googling this may help.

Failed to load resource: Frame load interrupted

Here are the headers:

[B]Request Headers[/B]
Accept:text/css,*/*;q=0.1
Cache-Control:max-age=0
If-Modified-Since:Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:49:20 GMT
If-None-Match:"eeefa959915acc1:58ba"
Referer:http://ssgdevelopment.com/about.html
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1

[B]Response Headers[/B]
Accept-Ranges:bytes
Cache-Control:max-age=3600
Date:Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:33:09 GMT
Etag:"eeefa959915acc1:58ba"
Last-Modified:Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:49:20 GMT
Microsoftofficewebserver:5.0_Pub
Server:Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By:ASP.NET

i took a look as you suggested, it is getting beyond me. I don’t handle any of the back-end issues, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

thanks!

Pulling up the response headers with FF and the web developer toolbar, one line stands out for the CSS file.

Content-Type: text

“text” all by itself is NOT a valid mime-type, and that’s 100% guaranteed why it’s screwing up. It should say “text/css” there, and this means the server is misconfigured; As such ride whoever DOES maintain the back-end’s backside about the server being trash.

Though it’s Windows IIs, so automatically it’s trash – this is just trashier than most. Say it with me people “*nix is for servers, Windows is for desktops, and never shall the twain meet!” Of course, if it was a *nix server running Apache I could probably just give you a .htaccess entry to fix it.

Mime-type in the HTTP response headers always trumps what you say in your code, or at least is supposed to.

that said, i’m surprised there aren’t ENDLESS design issues with the page given the presence of this:
<meta content=“MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627” name=“GENERATOR” />

Especially with the nonsensical/broken heading orders, clearing div nonsense, HTML 3.2 style tags intermixed with 4, lack of XHTML closings, presentational images in the markup, lack of proper semantics (like say putting the quote in a BLOCKQUOTE?), etc, etc…

Thank you for the info!!! The server info i will pass on and see if they can fix that piece on their end.

and yes apologies, my code is not up to snuff!

Thanks!
Shannon