CKEDITOR config file woe

Hi there,

I’ve been banging my head against this for about 3 hours now, so I thought I’d just put it out there before I actually do my self some long-term damage.

So I downloaded ckeditor and installed it, and it works great, but the toolbar is far too advanced for the end user of this project, so I thought I’d take out some of the buttons.

I’ve tried doing this in the config.js file, but nothing happens. By default the config file is like this:

/*
Copyright (c) 2003-2011, CKSource - Frederico Knabben. All rights reserved.
For licensing, see LICENSE.html or http://ckeditor.com/license
*/

CKEDITOR.editorConfig = function( config )
{
  //Define changes to default configuration here. For example:
  //config.language = 'fr';
  //config.uiColor = '#AADC6E';
};

Cool, so I just deleted everything in between the curly-braces and added the line:

config.toolbar = 'Basic';

Nothing. So I reverted to the default file and uncommented the language and uiColor settings, expecting a french instance of ckeditor to appear…

Nothing. It’s just the same. In fact whatever I do to the config.js file, the instance of ckeditor remains unaffected, silently mocking me with its smug-over-complicated toolbar.

I’m at a total loss. I’ve tried adding the command in-page, nothing… I’ve tried describing the basic toolbar in an array like so:

config.toolbar = 'MyBasic';
config.toolbar_MyBasic =
[
    ['Maximize','-','PasteText','PasteFromWord','-','SpellChecker','Scayt','-','Styles'],
    '/',
    ['Bold','Italic','Underline','-','NumberedList','BulletedList','-','Link','Unlink','Anchor']
] ;

And yup, you guessed it nothing, nada, zip, rien. The instance remains steadfast, refusing to bend to my will.

config.js is located in the root of the ckeditor directory, which itself is in the root directory of my server.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour, and if so did you manage to work out what was going on?

Many thanks,
Mike

Well, I dunno what happened, but I looked at it today and it just worked straight away.

meh

My guess is you needed to stop-start/restart for the changes to take.

And failing that, it could be that the machine is caching a previous version of the config files.

Yeah, one of the two (or both) I’m sure… Anyways its all good. My next mission is to try and turn of all the inline styles it keeps dropping in everywhere.

Grr…

This is happening due to browser caching. It happened the same to be and while searching on ckeditor forums I’ve discovered that. Every time you change anything on .js you need to clear browser cache.