Client Removed My Footer Link

I have it in my contract that my footer link is not to be removed without my permission. Client didn’t ask and removed it. I have nicely sent him an email stating that it is against what he signed in the contract and to restore the link ASAP.

If he doesn’t respond/comply what are my options here? He has not been a very good client and this puts the icing on the cake.

Myself, client and hosting are in the US.

How long into the future do you expect him to keep the link?

Indefinitely - or until he hires someone else to build him a new website. Signed contract with certain stipulations in it, one being that my link is to remain in the footer. He agreed to it and removing the link would be a breach of contract, no?

I can’t comment on the legal implications. I’m not convinced that a web designer’s link belongs on a client page, although I used to do it. But I also kind of figure that, once clients have paid me, they should be able to do what they like with the site—but I guess that’s not the issue here, so sorry for being off topic. :slight_smile:

I hear you. I actually cut my rate down a bit so I could have the link there as I knew it would drive me traffic as its a fairly popular dog niche site. Doubt the link will go back up as he removed it without a peep - had he actually done the right thing and asked…or even mentioned he wanted the link off I probably would have said yes.

Now he will hear from my attorney instead.

The client is clearly in breach of contract, so in theory you could sue him. But you’d only be able to claim the actual damage you’ve suffered, and it’s possible that the court won’t put much value on the link (but who knows?).

If this was me, I would do what you have already done, that is, write a polite email asking him to restore the link. If that doesn’t work, try a phone call. Again, keep it polite and friendly. After that, I guess I would give up.

Then again, if it was me, I wouldn’t have stipulated the link in the first place. The site belongs to the client, and it’s not the designer’s business to use it to advertise their own services, however discreetly. But that’s just my opinion.

Mike

Seriously? Surely you have better things to do with your time and money than pay an attorney $xxx per hour to send this guy a letter over a link. It’s hardly a big deal, is it? And what if he pushes back - are you prepared to go to court over it, or is it all hot air? That’s also some great PR you’d generate for your company - ‘web developer sues his client over deleted back link.’

Forget it and move on. Life’s too short.

Decided to take the high road and move on, as you mentioned its not worth the headache. Thanks for the replies fellas.