Cloud Web Hosting vs Shared Web Hosting

Hi All

I’m basically looking to signup with a new host and have found a fairly good provider based on reviews and their website. I currently use shared hosting with another provider but need some new space amongst other things.

My question is: Should I carry on using cpanel shared hosting which offers the same environment that I’m used too, or should I signup for the cloud web hosting which what I’ve read seems to be the preferred solution. If so, why? And what is the benefit of the cloud?

Thanks, Barry

Some reasons you might switch to cloud hosting:

Scalability - are you likely to need increased resources over time
Reliability - do you need better reliability and less contention of resources
Configurability - do you need to install or modify server software to suit your application

Some reasons you might not:

Familiarity - if you’re happy with cpanel control of your hosting then stick with what you know, cloud hosting won’t typically come with this
Economy - cloud hosting will typically be more expensive than shared hosting
Regularity - cloud hosting typically bills per unit of bandwidth so can be more variable in cost, where as shared hosting has a fixed fee

Thanks for the feedback EastCoast

You made me realise:

Not really needed as I’m running small to medium sized sites at present.

Configurability - do you need to install or modify server software to suit your application

Sold! :slight_smile: Just what I need and very comfortably with how things work with the cpanel.

Familiarity - if you’re happy with cpanel control of your hosting then stick with what you know, cloud hosting won’t typically come with this
Economy - cloud hosting will typically be more expensive than shared hosting
Regularity - cloud hosting typically bills per unit of bandwidth so can be more variable in cost, where as shared hosting has a fixed fee

For now i think its not worth making the change, just needed to understand the differences.

Thanks for point this out,
Barry

People are asking for Cloud, just because they hear more about it :slight_smile: However, as EastCoast posted, Cloud is not for everyone. You will need to consider that if it helps any for your business.

Another thing is the quality of service. Not all “clouds” are equal. I see some “clouds” using low-end / single SAN with low-end hypervisors, no backup plan. Their customers usually end up with multiple downtimes, that should not be expected with a true cloud.

So, just be careful with cloud :slight_smile:

Hi EastCoast,

I am using your tips for my website and i admire you. Thanks for giving this great information.

Few advantage of shared web hosting:-
1-Support and Maintenance.
2-Reliability and Security.

Disadvantages of Shared Website Hosting:-

1-The Sharing of the Server.
2-VPS and dedicated server hosting packages limited by the amount ofdisk space and bandwidth.

Due to this reasons I prefer Cloud computing because its reliable,easy to install,reduce resources etc.

I will Agree with Mabel because cloud computing is the advancement in the earlier technology which enables the utilization of resources and data from invisible and virtual protocols. In other words, the predecessor of this technology helped in making these businesses virtual and online. With advancements come added features. Cloud computing lets users attain remote services, applications, data storage from a virtual grid of data centers with robust security and pin point support and management systems.

Technically speaking, cloud hosting provides you with a server for example whose resources can be changed on-the-fly.
For example a ubuntu linux server whose RAM or hard disk space can be increased whenever you want. That is the basic idea behind cloud.

I use linode.com vps servers. They are cloudy and provide a neat linux environment where you have to configure everything from the shell

Amazon also provides cloudy servers but they are too cloudy. Technically speaking they are difficult to configure for newbies.

So if you just want a simple gui interface like cPanel or directadmin go with some decent quality shared hosting provider.
If you are a linux geek who knows how to ride the SHELL/CONSOLE and wants some uber performance, then go for linode/digitalocean kind of cloud linux servers.

Having said that, I do no claim any responsibility for my suggestions, those are just my opinions.

Regards
Silver

Cloud hosting is where the load gets distributed among different servers which are connected in the form of cloud and helps in increasing the memory space and disk storage. It is advantageous as it is less expensive and the support is available instantly.It provides easy restoration. Information can be accessed from any location.
In shared hosting the server has limited resources which prohibit customers in using bandwidth and memory over a single server. The server is not split up into different servers. It is of low cost as the whole server is not given to a single user.