CMS for college/university website

Greetings!!

May I have your opinion on what is the best
CMS platform that is suitable
for a school/university website.

I made already the design and ready to deploy. I made it in notepad++.
My problem is the maintenance, and the updating.

Is it possible also to make my existing design as templates?

thank you.

There are many CMSes that do a great job of this, like Drupal, but my preference is for ExpressionEngine, even though it costs a bit. It makes it really easy to use the template you already have without altering it at all—just copy and paste, and you’re done. :slight_smile:

ExpressionEngine? Is it free?

How about among free platform.

Thank you for your response sir Ralph.

ExpressionEngine isn’t free, but many others are, like MODx and Drupal. :slight_smile:

I see.

I would love to use that soon.

How about between Drupal and Joomla?

Both are fairly complex, but I haven’t used them. MODx is a lot more like EE, in that you use your HYML/CSS template as is.

I’ll try to look at it and search.

Thank you very much sir Ralph.

Why don’t anybody talking about Wordpress? If it’s just a pure content oriented website then I think Wordpress will be the best choice…

Many people says that wordpress is good for blogging.

Indeed, but not so good for a regular (university) website. With a regular CMS, you can set up a blog anyway, but then you’ve also got the features that you want for a regular site. I know WP is becoming more adaptable, but it’s a bit of a mess, IMHO.

Use WordPress. It has a full CMS for pages and media files as well as the blogging component. If you need to give users their own blog you can use it in “multisite” mode and you can add instant social networking features - forums, private messaging, etc. - by using the free BuddyPress plugin.

The forum is interesting. How about importing my own css/html files in wordpress? Is it friendly?

How about between Drupal and Joomla?

Forget Joomla, it’s glory days have ended, use Drupal instead. It’s the leading CMS for these kind of websites. WordPress is also good, but it’s a little bit of a mess. WordPress is easier to learn and a lot more fun, but saying that it’s not really fit for an education kind of website. With time WordPress will get better, it’s currently the leading CMS with over 22% of new sites being implemented on it. Even so, Drupal seams to be the ideal solution, if you can get your head around it.

Ok, I’m torn between Modx and Drupal…

I installed already Modx, I don’t know if I can say that it’s good. I’m in the middle of learning it.
I’m stuck in downloading its extras.

I think I’ll go for Modx…

this link support my idea

Thank you everybody. This thing is new.

What sorts of things will the CMS need to do?

Blogs: Keeping students and staff up to date of of news and events
Forums: Students asking staff and fellow students for help with whatever
Wiki perhaps: for subject info pages, pages with exercises, exam timetables, etc, etc
Download/file management: storing of course syallbus files, copies of past exam papers, subject handouts, etc

One option would be to choose an app for each purpose and “bridge” them eg wordpress and phpbb can be “bridged” so that logging into one logs you into the other

Blogs: Keeping students and staff up to date of of news and events
Forums: Students asking staff and fellow students for help with whatever
Wiki perhaps: for subject info pages, pages with exercises, exam timetables, etc, etc
Download/file management: storing of course syallbus files, copies of past exam papers, subject handouts, etc

What!
that’s cool!!
I hope Modx is capable of doing that.

For now, I need to keep students and staff updated of the news and events. But, perhaps soon, I’ll look into the other .

hi, i can create the wordpress site but how integrate the cms tools and page into my site…???

BTW in importing my works in modx, do I really need to repeat what I’ve done again just to put it over modx?

You won’t need to write the HTML or CSS code again, but you will need to set up the site structure (page templates and groups etc.)