CMS or not, best approach for responsive/parallax website?

Hi, I started out as a webdev about 10 years ago, but since then I’ve been mostly coding win apps and microcontrollers.
So it’s been a while since I attempted a serious web project, a lot has changed.

I want to build a responsive, horizontal parallax website … with areas of dynamic content; posts, images, integrating social media, etc …
That I want to manage in a simple straightforward way.

My dilemma is;

Should I start to code my website (straight html5, css, js, …) learn everything along the way … which is fun,
drives me and suites my workflow. And fit in, or make my own system for content management later.

Or should I take a different route and start by learning a CMS package and build my templates/pages in there ?
I don’t even know if that’s possible or if the major CMS packages even allow for such (visual) customization.

So before I even started, I’m a bit stuck :wink: I’m not sure what approach is best and I want to avoid having to start over in the middle of the project.
And learning a CMS and how to make it’s templates/pages takes time.
Time I could be spending on building the actual website of course, which worries me a bit.

I could really use some advice please. Also on CMS packages best suited for it, if one suggest that route.

thanks !

Hi soledad. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

I don’t even know if that’s possible or if the major CMS packages even allow for such (visual) customization.

Each is different, but some let you build your templates any way you like and don’t interfere with your front end code, which is really nice. I’m thinking of things like MODx, ExpressionEngine and Statamic, but there are plenty more.

You could work on your templates while spending an hour a day checking out how the chosen CMS works. It’s better to use the CMs from the beginning if your site is going to have one, because inevitably you’ll have to change things a fair bit if you start to use one down the track.

Thank you Ralph !

That might indeed be the best approach. I’ve just setup MODx, this could be what I’m looking for.
Now I can start experimenting with making some templates.