CMS vs Adobe

I’m in a state of transition right now. I just bought a new MacBook Pro and upgraded all my software. I also upgraded my websites and am thinking of upgrading yet again to a CMS, probably WordPress or Drupal.

In the meantime, I’m subscribed to Adobe’s Creative Cloud and am trying to figure out all their software programs. It suddenly occurred to me that their could be some conflicts between Adobe’s software programs and certain CMS’s. For example, do people who use Drupal even use Dreamweaver?

I’ve heard that Apple doesn’t support Flash, and I do get lots of plug in error messages when I view videos on Facebook or YouTube. And what about web-based fonts? I think Adobe has two or three separate font programs, but I wondered if WordPress or Drupal might have their own font programs.

Thanks for any tips.

Apples & Oranges. Dreamweaver is an IDE and works just fine for developing in Drupal or any CMS for that matter. When I’m not doing Git based stuff, I use Dreamweaver quite handily to work with Drupal websites and have done for the past 7+ years.

Apple supports Flash just fine but the internet is turning its back on the technology because it’s more efficient to use HTML5 + CSS3 + jQuery to achieve the same results. Although Flash is up to date on my Windows and Apple machines, it’s been over a year since my last Flash update on Linux and as a result some Flash based video are unavailable on that platform.

For embedding fonts I’ve been using Adobe Typekit. IMO, Typekit is the best solution because you can use the same fonts that you’re using in print materials on your website. You can also use Google Web Fonts. It’s free and has some good fonts to choose from but you aren’t going to find Adobe Garamond, Klavika or Gill Sans in the collection.

Wow, I have some catching up to do; I wasn’t even aware of HTML5 + CSS3 + JQuery animations. I converted all my web pages to HTML5 just recently but haven’t yet had time to learn about all the things you can do with it. Thanks for the tips!

As said, Dreamweaver is just a code editor, and is handy for editing any code, such as Drupal or WordPress code—if you happen to be into editing that sort of stuff.

I’ve heard that Apple doesn’t support Flash

Again, as said, Flash works fine on Apple desktop devices, but it isn’t supported on the iDevices … which has basically put a stake through the heart of Flash … at least the mobile versions.

And what about web-based fonts? I think Adobe has two or three separate font programs, but I wondered if WordPress or Drupal might have their own font programs.

Don’t confuse programs with the fonts themselves. For a long time, websites could only reliably use fonts that end users were likely to have already installed on their computers. Now you have various options, like linking to online services—like Typekit, Fontdeck, Google Fonts etc. that serve up the font files remotely—or uploading the fonts to your website and letting the end user download them … although you can’t do that legally in many cases. (A site like FontSquirrel has many free fonts available for use that you can upload to your website and link to via CSS.)

Yes, TypeKit is pretty cool, and I was impressed to discover that it comes as part of the Creative Cloud without paying extra. That has almost won me over to sighing up. :smiley:

Well, you two have certainly interested me in TypeKit. The CreativeCloud subscription isn’t cheap, but it’s really cool having so many software programs to play with. Hopefully, my websites will earn enough money to pay the monthly bill some day. :wink: