Coldfusion migration to new server

Hi all,

We are currently migrating our coldfusion mx 7 to a new environment/server. Can anyone give some guidelines on how to do this? We tried simple copying of the files from the old server to the new server, but we encounter lots of errros. I wonder if there is a tool similar to Archive and Deployment (in other CF version). Our version is Coldfusion MX 7, and I can’t see any tool to help me accomplish this. Hope to hear from you. Thank you.

Going to need some more info to help…

What kind of errors and when you say you just copied the files across do you mean your projects files or ColdFusion itself?

You’d need to run the installation .exe for your copy of ColdFusion or download it from Adobe.com to get the basics up and running.

Cheers,
James

Hi James,

Thank you for the reply.

Coldfusion was installed in the new server. The administrator link was also set-up and we are able to update some configurations like datasources.

After installing Coldfusion, we would like the reports to run in the new server. What we did was copied the project files, exactly to the new server. We created the same structure of folders in the new server, and copy the project files from the old server to the new server.

Our report files have .thml and .cfm. We can view the report pages of .html in the new server, but the pages of .cfm displays “page cannot be displayed” error althoughwe are certain that the .cfm file exists.

I hope I was able to explain. Is the procedure we did correct? We can’t seem to find any packaging and deployment tool in Coldfusion MX 7 and searched the net but still can’t find any. I learned that in Coldfusion 8, there is Archive and Deployment tool to do this. But how can we do this in MX 7?

If your getting HTML but not CF then it sounds like the Web Server isn’t talking to ColdFusion yet. What are you using? IIS, Apache? etc.?

Hi, we are using IIS. Thanks so much again!

You need to connect IIS up to ColdFusion and that’s done via the WSConfig tools that come with JRun (the underlining application server that ColdFusion runs on top ).

You should find it in your Start > Programs > ColdFusion > Web Configuration Tool.

Just fill out the form and it’ll do all the basic connect work needed for you. Test it after that by launching a basic .cfm file in a browser and see if you’re getting a result.

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the reply James, but we don’t have Coldfusion in our Program groups in Windows. ie. theres no Coldfusion when we click

Start > Programs >

It’s probably because you did this… :wink:

We tried simple copying of the files from the old server to the new server, but we encounter lots of errros.

Download a fresh copy from Adobe.com, install it and you should see it after that. You can transfer your serial number from your old server across to your new one. That can be found in the CFAdmin System Information pages.

we installed Coldfusion in the new server using a licensed installer. (what we only copied are the project files…)

And even in the old server where the report runs properly, it also does not have Coldfusion in Program groups of Windows… :frowning:

Ah ok! In which case you’ll need to find it in the JRun / ColdFusion directory. More information on using it here:

https://www.adobe.com/livedocs/jrun/4/Installing_JRun/servconf3.htm