Collapsible tr rows instead of divs?

Doed anyone know if there is a way to do something like this:
How to Create a Collapsible DIV with Javascript and CSS

but to hide table rows <tr> instead?

The problem I am running into is the method in that tutorial relies on is document.getElementById, but in order to hide multiple tr rows I would have to assign them classes instead of ids.

Check out Hiding and Unhiding Table Rows

I think just giving the id and applying the style display none and block in the row (<tr id=“idname” style=“display:none”>) from javascript as you have done in div would be the solution.

But, except in IE, table rows aren’t display:block by default and don’t act right in Firefox (and maybe other non-IE browsers too) if you set them to it. In CSS2 table rows are display:table-row by default.

As i have done and worked in Firefox 2.0 and IE 6 that display:one and display:(blank no any text) is working collapsing in the case of td. I am not sure on tr. Does this matter in tr and td?

what about changing their size and overflow? I have a td that gets maximized to full screen width and height, and then can be restored without any page loads… that works if you want to see it.

document.getElementById(‘tr’).style.width = “0px”
document.getElementById(‘tr’).style.height = “0px”
document.getElementById(‘tr’).style.overflow = “hidden”

---- or if you wanted to hide all tr’s in a table ----

var tableId = document.getElementById(‘table1’);

tableId.getElementsByTagName(‘tr’).style.width = “0px”
tableId.getElementsByTagName(‘tr’).style.height = “0px”
tableId.getElementsByTagName(‘tr’).style.overflow = “hidden”

[thats all I could think of, let me know if it helps]

Yes, using classes is one way. Using multiple TBODYs is another way. Or another way is to start with a reference to one row (or its row number) and iterate over the next n rows and hide them - no classes or anything extra needed.

It just depends on what you want to accomplish. Tell us something about your application, or give us a link.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. I was trying to work off the tbody tag with a method that I found elsewhere. A test of what I am working on is at: http://cannon.makibiedev.com/temp/test3.shtml

It works almost like I need it to, but I also have to find a way to change the “View all messages” to “hide all messages” when the table is fully expanded. Any idea on the best way to do this?

Hi Frankie,

Here is one way - maybe not the “best” way, but just a simple illustration:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<style tyup="text/css">
.viewlink {background: url(/images/icons/sm_plus_icon.jpg) no-repeat 0 2px; padding-left: 14px; }
.analysis {width: 748px; margin: 0; border: 1px solid #666666; border-top: 4px solid #666666; border-right: 0; }
.analysis th {border: 1px solid #CCCCCC; height: 25px; vertical-align: bottom;  }
.analysis th a:link, .analysis th a:visited, .analysis th a:active {color: #666666; display: block; margin-right: 10px; }
.analysis th a:hover {color: #666666; }
.analysis td {text-align: left; border: 1px solid #CCCCCC; height: 25px; vertical-align: middle; padding: 0 6px;  }
</style>
<script type='text/javascript'>
window.onload = function()
{
  document.getElementById('viewLink1').onclick = viewOnClick;
};
function viewOnClick()
{
  if(document.getElementById('allmessages').style.display == 'none') {
    document.getElementById('allmessages').style.display = '';
    if (this.firstChild) this.firstChild.data = 'View Summary';
  }
  else {
    document.getElementById('allmessages').style.display = 'none';
    if (this.firstChild) this.firstChild.data = 'View all Messages';
  }
  return false;
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<table class="analysis">
		<tr>
			<th class="datetime"><a href="#" class="sortby">Date/Time</a></th>
			<th class="author"><a href="#" class="sortby">Author</a></th>
			<th class="message nor"><a href="#" class="sortby">Message</a></th>

</tr>
		<tr>
			<td>01/24/07 4:23 AM</td>
			<td>Bob Smith</td>
			<td>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td>02/24/07 4:23 AM</td>
			<td>Ed Jonees</td>
			<td>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco</td>
		</tr>
		<tbody id="allmessages" style="display: none;">
		<tr>
			<td>01/24/07 4:23 AM</td>
			<td>Edmund Hillary</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td>02/24/07 4:23 AM</td>
			<td>Tenzing Norgay</td>
		</tr>
		</tbody>
	</table>
	<p class="viewall">
	<a id='viewLink1' href="" class="viewlink">View all Messages</a></p>
</body>
</html>