"commands Out Of Sync . . " Mysqli Error

Below is the code and details of what is happening is below.

$stmt = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT question, uniqueid FROM pollquestion WHERE status = 1");
$stmt->execute();
$stmt->bind_result($question, $uniqueid);

while ($stmt->fetch())
{
echo "<center><div class=tablebox><h5>$question</h5></div></center><br><div class=tablebox>";

if (!$mysqli->query("SELECT optionname FROM pollchoices WHERE pollid = $uniqueid")) {echo "Multi-INSERT failed: (" . $mysqli->errno . ") " . $mysqli->error;} else{
$stmt2 = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT optionname FROM pollchoices WHERE pollid = ?");
$stmt2->bind_param('s', $uniqueid);
mysqli_free_result();
$stmt2->execute();
$stmt2->bind_result($option);
while ($stmt2->fetch()){echo "$option";}
$stmt2->close();
}
echo "</div>";
}
$stmt->close();

With this I get the error “Multi-INSERT failed: (2014) Commands out of sync; you can’t run this command now.” I looked it up on Google and it was saying I should use multi_query. I replaced the query with multi_query and still no luck and no change in error. So I changed it back.

I do stuff like this a lot in my coding and never came across this error. Should I be using multi_query? I never used it before, if so - how should I be using it?

This is what I am trying to get to happen: I get the question for the poll and the unique id. With the unique id I can find out what poll options goes with it. That is all I want to do and I cannot get the poll options to show.

You shouldn’t have to do multiple queries here. You should be able to prepare your record set to bring in your data once rather than create a new query for each record your looping through

Looking at your code, you need to first group all the prepare statements together before you execute any of them otherwise you will get an error “mysqli::prepare(): All data must be fetched before a new statement prepare takes place”. Also if you look at your code, you are performing the same SQL twice “SELECT optionname FROM pollchoices WHERE pollid = $uniqueid”.

The intention of the IF statement SQL version of code is not clear. Are you running a test to see if a row is returned? This should be handled in the WHILE loop.

$stmt = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT question, uniqueid FROM pollquestion WHERE status = 1") or die(mysqli_error($mysqli));
$stmt2 = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT optionname FROM pollchoices WHERE pollid = ?");

$stmt->execute();
$stmt->bind_result($question, $uniqueid);

while ($stmt->fetch()) {
	echo "<center><div class=tablebox><h5>$question</h5></div></center><br><div class=tablebox>";

$stmt2->bind_param('s', $uniqueid);
	$stmt2->execute();
	$stmt2->bind_result($option);
	$found = false;

while ($stmt2->fetch()) {
		echo "$option";
		$found = true;
	}
	if(!$found) {
		echo "ERROR: ...";
	}

$stmt2->close();