Compass CSS Framework

Hello all,

Was wanting to see if I could get some advice / help (if anyone here is familiar) with the Compass CSS framework and how to install it. I’m running OSX 10.6.7 and have ruby 1.8.7 installed, however, when I type:

$ gem update --system
$ gem install compass

per the instructions and after setting up rvm with the help of this [URL=“http://spyrestudios.com/setting-up-a-rails-development-system-on-mac-osx-snow-leopard/”]link, I get the message:

$ gem install compass
[/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/specifications/builder-2.1.2.gemspec] isn't a Gem::Specification (NilClass instead).
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:277:in `_resort!': undefined method `name' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:276:in `sort!'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:276:in `_resort!'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:270:in `_all'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:402:in `each'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:434:in `find'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/specification.rb:434:in `find_by_path'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems.rb:205:in `try_activate'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:58:in `require'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:55
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:9
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require'
	from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
	from /usr/bin/gem:9

Have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Even purchased the GUI app for compass and the program will not open. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, Welcome to Sitepoint :slight_smile:

This isn’t really a CSS problem so I’ll move the post to a more appropriate forum as I have no knowledge of setting up compass.

(I assume you aren’t typing that dollar sign into the command).

From the page you linked to:

Note: $ is a placeholder for your terminal’s prompt. You don’t type it.

Hi Paul,

That’s correct. Not typing the ‘$’ symbol.

I would have went for the Ruby forums but it wasn’t looking very active. Anyhow, maybe I can try at a more specific forum. Thanks!

If no one replies here then I’ll move it to Ruby (and then maybe back to css in case someone has tried it). Sorry I can’t help with this as I’ve never tested compass.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

My friend actually designed the compass website and documentation. Compass is really awesome.

It sounds to me like you might have an rvm conflict. I believe ruby comes pre-installed on mac’s already, I can’t remember honestly, with 1.8.6 and you might be getting a version conflict.

I’d check there. Compass works 100% on my iMac and I use rvm as well. You know what, you should visit the rvm IRC channel on freenone. The lead developer of rvm is always there and always helpful.

Hey, thanks for the advice on the IRC channel. Got the GUI application working and seems to be the easiest way to run compass. Thanks again!

Glad you got it working but sorry it took so long :slight_smile:

Perhaps you can document roughly what you did to make it work in case others have the same issue.

It’s rather silly, but I suppose it might help someone who isn’t familiar with the graphical interface made for the Compass framework, or mac computers for that matter (rather new myself). So, when opening the actual GUI application, at the top right of the application / menu bar (think it’s called), there sits the program where you can then create the various compass projects. For some reason I didn’t realize it was open since the only thing that changes when opening the GUI interface is its icon at the top right.

As far as the compass from the command line standpoint, I think iackay might be correct since after installing rvm, that’s about as far as I made it. I’m sure it would be helpful if their website had detailed instructions for installing Compass along with Rubi but they don’t. Anyhow the graphical interface seems to be the way to go. Thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks for the explanation - it may help others :slight_smile: