Competition

I am running a website for a point of sale software and I have checked out the competing websites for my keyword and what I found is that a lot of them have links from non-revelant websites. For example, some of the links come from body building websites, car insurance websites and clothing websites. Other links from site like all-acronyms.com. They are on the first page for my keyword.

Any suggestions on how I can beat them in rankings? Anyone heard of all-acronyms.com and how I can add my site on there?

Just use the right keywords for your business, and you’ll be fine. I think those sites will have what’s coming for them: a good Google slap, if Google’s the search engine you’re monitoring, at least, and if they’re just posting links there for the sake of just having a link. Another way of looking at it would be thinking of affiliate links. By the way, just in case you don’t know, Google has their SEO starter guide which you can easily find using Google itself. The search term: google seo guide.

I would suggest that you build links from relevant sites only. Your competitor may get penalized soon because of his irrelevant links. try using a mix of anchor texts when you get links from other sites. optimize your link building strategy and use natural link building techniques. i’m sure you can beat your competitor this way.

I agree with the guys above. Just get links for relevant sources. This will not only look great in Google’s eyes, but you might get some quality traffic that way.

In the end, that site will get slapped. Maybe a day, maybe a year, but Google does not like irrelevant link sources. And when they get slapped, you will still be there, because your backlinks are safe.

Spying and replicate what your competitor doing is a good way to compete them and with your competitor case where using non-relevant site for link building as long as it’s not spammy link (generated by software such as Xrummer, Senuke etc) I will follow their path.

Making relevant link is not easy as its sound and also need time to make bunch of links pointing to our site. As a case study you can spying SEO.com, it’s SEO Firm that manages lot of corporate site and you will find that their links are not too relevant with their business but they have good reputation and ranking on Google even though Panda and Penguin released, they still strong on their competition.

<snip/>

Thanks but I am not sure how I can find the sites to build backlinks from. I am not looking to spam but I am just having a hard time finding sites to get the backlinks from that are within my search term. Any ideas? Software suggestions?

Have you tried blog comments? If you have something on your site that can give value to a blog post, you can share your link there. You can use Google to look for those blogs. Just a peek at the different search operators would be helpful.

I have always had the same problem, most of the sites that are truly relevant to mine are competitors. The problem is that if I broaden it, even if I think a site is still relevant Google may not.

Have you tried blog comments? If you have something on your site that can give value to a blog post, you can share your link there. You can use Google to look for those blogs. Just a peek at the different search operators would be helpful.

yes I have looked on google but unfortunately when it comes down to the industry while there are blogs they don’t allow comments or guest blogging at all.

the only thing i can come up with that would make sense for this site would be that the point of sale software uses a lot of open source software such as apache webserver and hadoop.

I have always had the same problem, most of the sites that are truly relevant to mine are competitors. The problem is that if I broaden it, even if I think a site is still relevant Google may not.

yeah that’s a challenge. i got the problem with that as well, really frustrating especially when they got higher ranking by getting links from car insurance websites.

If you are interested to make guest post I just find some of websites that you might interest for guest post submission

Check this out : http://i.imgur.com/Rg94e.jpg

To finding where your audience hanging around on the net, use Google Ad Planner. This software works for you if you want to advertise on AdWords and wanna find
good placement for your ad with audience targeting in mind and fortunately we don’t have to advertise first to use this software so try it and see if you can contribute on site result or even posting guest post.

I made simple research for you by targeting US as demography with interest in business you can find my result here :http://i.imgur.com/cXEDc.jpg