Compiler doesn't need a browser?

I’m looking for a Javascript compiler which doesn’t need a Browser. If I wanted to run the code in a browser it would work ? I read that Adobe Air could be what I’m after but looking for more opinions.

Are you looking for a way to compile JavaScript so the result can run on the desktop or are you after a way that will allow the result to run on a web server?

There aren’t any JavaScript compilers where the result will run in a web browser as the web browsers all expect to interpret JavaScript. There is a CoffeeScript compiler that will compile code written in CoffeeScript into JavaScript to allow it to run in the browser.

I want to compile Javascript so the result can be run on the desktop.

The best platform I have seen for doing that is Adobe Air.

Can I use Adobe Air to develop for a browser as well ? Adobe Air is free or no ?

I want a simple compiler that I can run simple code in and execute and see the result without the need of a browser.

Your using the wrong tools for the job. You should be programming in C/++ or Java if your building a desktop application. Converting JavaScript to either of those is not going to happen, at least not without spending years developing your own conversion algorithm.

So you are claiming that Adobe Air - which allows you to develop desktop applications in three different languages one of which is JavaScript - doesn’t exist? Presumably Adobe spent years developing that application so as other people wouldn’t have to.

Adobe Air is a free application which allows the development of desktop applications using one of several different languages normally used on the web - one of which is JavaScript.

Desktop applications written using Adobe Air/JavaScript cannot be easily converted to run as web pages as the web version would not understand the commands for reading and writing files. The purpose of the platform is to allow programs for the desktop to be written using a language that is already known to the person from having used it on the web.

While a C++ application might run faster on the desktop than an Adobe Air/JavaScript one (depending on how good the compiler built into Adobe Air is), the JavaScript one would be much faster to write if the person already knows JavaScript but has never learnt C++.

Felgall that was the information I was looking for. I don’t know C++ from those who tried learning it, they told me it’s quite difficult language to learn.

Lets not forget Windows 8 will introduce native applications written in HTML 5 and JavaScript. That does pokes a hole in your statement, oddz.

What are some Adobe Air applications ? I have Air installed but that is the development files. Not that I can’t find out for myself but I’m guessing Adobe Flash Builder is one ?

Tweetdeck is one Adobe Air application that I have installed.

Sorry, I meant to say what are Adobe Air Development Tools ?

See http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/07/adobe-air-developers-toolbox-resources-and-tutorials/ for a description and links to where you can get it from

There’s also the Getting started with Adobe AIR for HTML/JavaScript developers page, which doesn’t seem to be listed in the Smashing article.