As regards "Games", until now is not defined what a "Game" is. It seems "Game" is interpreted as shooter games, but maybe everybody in the posts above has his/her own interpretation...
- I think you can distinguish at least 4 types of games, in what I call:
- Destructive games: kill as much "enemies" as you can. - I don't like them and cannot identify myself with a 1st or 3rd person shooter or sniper.
- Constructive games: build something, using your imagination. - I've had lots of fun with Roller Coaster Tycoon.
- Adventure games with opponents: kill the opponents and try to reach a certain goal. - Don't appeal to me.
- Adventure games without opponents: solve enigmas and try to reach a certain goal. - I found Siberia has a heart warming story (and extremely good graphics & music).
The (2) I can compare more or less with making a painting for myself. It is creative; in the meantime I cannot be busy with social relationships, but it is creative ("improving my life"), and sometimes I need that.
The (3) I can compare more or less with reading a good book for myself. It is distracting; in the meantime I cannot be busy with social relationships, but it keeps my mind warm ("improving my life"), and sometimes I need that.
Nevertheless: too much is too much, like with everything.
Even social relationships: if you spent too much time in writing/responding mails, sms'es, phone calls, Twitters, Facebook-things and so on, you don't have any time to come at rest for yourself and do your own things, study, work, personal live contacts, sleep, etc. The social media addiction!
Wish everybody can find a good balance: the magic word.