I have a budget tablet, because I only use it for site testing, and I thought it was a good idea to check whether the sites also render correctly on budget tablets. It runs on Android OS 4.1.1. The user-agent string of Google Chrome 25, in its default setting ('Request desktop version' not ticked) is this:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10
(KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10
Could anyone confirm that this is the same on more expensive Android devices (phones and tablets) such as Samsung? You can test this easily on http://tiny.cc/browserinfo. I find it strange that Chrome dropped the words Chrome and Android, compared to what I read about the string of Chrome Mobile 18.
The reason I need it is this. Android OS has only three fonts installed: Droid Sans, Droid Serif and Droid Monospace Sans. Not even Verdana, the most pleasant font for screens. And to have Verdana bold, italic and bold+italic rendered as well, for most browsers all 4 webfont files have to be loaded (only Firefox mobile seems able to do it with just the standard file).
Apple devices have all the web-safe fonts installed. Targeting browsers on Android devices to download the webfont files was easy, but now seems no longer possible when it comes to Chrome. However, before I send a complaint to Google, I want to be sure it is a generic thing of mobile Chrome versions as of v. 25, not just a thing on my budget tablet.
That looks like a Safari useragent - not a Chrome one.
That was the first thing that crossed my mind, but I didn't have Safari on my tablet. Only Android('s house browser) and Google Chrome. You can rest assured that I'm not mistaking and that this is the user-agent string of Chrome Mobile 25. I just wanna make sure that this is not due to my tablet being a budget tablet.