Confirmation pop up, help! Javascript

I was wondering what I would have to do to have a transaction summary before moving onto the next page. I mean I would click “Buy Tickets” a pop up would show me what I was purchasing (for example. 2 tickets for Nottingham, 18th July at £45 each and the total cost (£90)) .

Anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

<html>

<head>
<a href="2.html" style="text-decoration: none"> Purchase different tickets
<br><<</a>
<center>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<h1><FONT COLOR="06799F">Oasis</FONT></h1>

</head>

<body>

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

<form name="tickets">

<select id="sel_1"><option value="">Select Ticket (s)</option></select>
<select id="sel_2"><option value="">Select Number of Ticket (s)</option></select>
<input type="button" value="Calculate Price" onclick="calcTic(this.form)" />
<br /><br /><b>Total price(&pound;):</b> <input name="total"type="text" />

<br /><br />(Includes £10 fee for 4+ tickets)

</form>

<br /><br /><br />

<!--form to enter details-->

<h2>Please Enter Your Details Below.</h2>

<form name="form1">
<b>Name:</b> <br /><input type="text" name="Name" value="" size="30" maxlength="50" /> <br><br>

<b>Address:</b><br>
<input type="text" name="Address1" value="Line 1" size="30" maxlength="50" />
<br><input type="text" name="Address2" value="Line 2" size="30" maxlength="50" />
<br><input type="text" name="Address3" value="Town/City" size="30" maxlength="50" />
<br><input type="text" name="Address4" value="Postcode" size="30" maxlength="50" />

<br><br><b>Telephone:</b> <br /><input type="text" name="Phone" value="" size="30" maxlength="11" /> <br><br>

<b>Email:</b><br><input type="text" name="Email" value="" size="30" maxlength="50" /><br><br>

<b>Card Number:</b><br><input type="text" name="Card" value="" size="30" maxlength="16" />

</form>

<br><br>

<input type="submit" value="Buy Tickets" onclick="validate();" />
<br /><br />

</center>

<script type = "text/javascript">

var tickets=[
[" "],
["Nottingham, 18th July",25],								//arrays to fill up the drop down
["Nottingham, 18th July",45],
["Nottingham, 18th July",60],
["Nottingham, 19th July",25],
["Nottingham, 19th July",45],
["Nottingham, 19th July",60],
[" "],
["Glasgow, 21st July",45],
["Glasgow, 21st July",60],
[" "],
["London, 23rd July",45],
["London, 23rd July",60],
["London, 24th July",45],
["London, 24th July",60]
],
sel_1=document.getElementById("sel_1"),							//ticket drop down	
sel_2=document.getElementById("sel_2");							//number of tickets drop down

for(var i=1;i<tickets.length;i++){sel_1.options[i]=new Option(tickets[i][0]+' - '+tickets[i][1],tickets[i][1]);}
for(var i=1;i<7;i++){sel_2.options[i]=new Option(i,i);}										//populating second drop down (1-6)

function calcTic(frm)
{
if(frm.sel_1.value==""){alert("Please choose dates.");frm.sel_1.focus();return;}						//if unchosen ticket, alert before calculating price
if(frm.sel_2.value==""){alert("Please choose number of tickets.");frm.sel_2.focus();return;} 					//if unchosen number of tickets, alert before calculating price

else{
var val_1=new Number(frm.sel_1.value),val_2=new Number(frm.sel_2.value),extra=val_2>3?10:0;					//totals up the price (ticket x quantity (+£10 if 4 or more))
frm.total.value=val_1*val_2+extra;
}
}

function validate()
{
var x=document.forms["form1"]["Name"].value;						//validate the name field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your Name.");							//show message if empty
  return false;
  }

else if (document.form1.Name.value.length < 3 || null)					//if name is under 3 characters, show alert
{
alert("Please enter your name correctly!");
document.form1.Name.focus();
 return false;
}

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Address1"].value;					//validate the first line of address field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your first line of address.");					//show message if empty
  return false;
  }

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Address2"].value;					//validate the second line of address field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your second line of address.");					//show message if empty
  return false;
  }

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Address3"].value;					//validate the town/city field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your town/city.");						//show message if empty
  return false;
  }

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Address4"].value;					//validate the postcode field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your postcode.");						//show message if empty
  return false;
  }

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Phone"].value;						//validate the phone number field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your phone number.");						//show message if empty
  return false;
  }
else if (document.form1.Phone.value.length < 11 || null)				//if phone number is under 11 numbers, show alert
{
alert("Please enter your phone number correctly!");
document.form1.Phone.focus();
 return false;
}

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Email"].value;						//validate the email
var atpos=x.indexOf("@");		
var dotpos=x.lastIndexOf(".");
if (atpos<1 || dotpos<atpos+2 || dotpos+2>=x.length)					//check for the "@" and "."
  {
  alert("Not a valid e-mail address.");
  return false;
  }

var x=document.forms["form1"]["Card"].value;						//validate the card field
if (x==null || x=="")
  {
  alert("Please fill in your Card number.");						//show message if empty
  return false;
  }

window.location= "thanks.html";

}

//session expiry

setTimeout( "_SessionExpired()", 20 * 60 * 1000 );					//expires after 20 mins

function _SessionExpired()
{
alert("Session has expired!");								//alerts user
location.href = "1.html";								//redirects to login page
}

</script>
</body>

</html>

also, I have tried a few ways but I can’t seem to get a “£” sign in front of the prices on the drop down without changing the value of the field.
Any suggestions on how to change?

any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sure, I’ll answer these in reverse order to help improve the clarity of things in relation to the total.

I am going to assume that you mean below the drop down where the total is shown.
I understand your concern, because if you do it like this:

frm.total.value = '£' + val_1 * val_2 + extra;

You will end up with the wrong result, because it is the string of ‘£50’ to which extra is added, which just appends a 0 on to the end resulting in ‘£500’

So instead, you can either calculate the total beforehand:

function calcTic(frm) {
    var total = 0;
    total = val_1 * val_2 + extra;
    frm.total.value = '£' + total;

or you can just place the calculation in parenthesis:

frm.total.value = '£' + (val_1 * val_2 + extra);

You could create a function that does that with something like:

function confirmTicketPurchase() {
    var form = document.forms["tickets"],
        tickets = form.sel_1,
        ticket = tickets.options[tickets.selectedIndex].innerHTML,
        price = tickets.value,
        amount = form.sel_2.value,
        total = form.total.value;

// price is a number straight from the option value, whereas total is a string such as '£50' 
    return window.confirm('You are about to purchase ' + amount + ' tickets to ' + ticket + ' at £' + price + ' each at a total cost of ' + total);
}

and call that from the validate function. If you want to confirm before checking the other fields, you could place it at the start of the validate function with:

function validate() {
    if (!confirmTicketPurchase()) {
        return false;
    }
}

or if you want the confirmation to occur only after the other fields are validated as being correct, you can place the confirm at the end of the function with:

function validate() {
    return confirmTicketPurchase();
}

thanks, I found another way to fix the problem but this still helped! :slight_smile: but I was particularly stuck on showing the pound (£) sign in my drop down ie. [“Nottingham, 18th July”,45], etc…

I want it to be “Nottingham, 18th July, £45” …basically I want the pound sign showing up but the value of the field to be the same (45) so it wouldn’t be a problem when it comes to totaling up the price. How would I do this? I have tried to put the sign in with quotation marks but it doesn’t work and the value changes.

Would you know how I can combat this problem?

Thanks!

I’ve just tried that and it seems to work perfectly fine when I make the change.

Show us the change you attempting to do, and we’ll provide some advice on what you’re doing.

I was trying [“Nottingham, 18th July”,“£”, 45] and [“Nottingham, 18th July”,(£)45] and also by putting the code form in [“Nottingham, 18th July”,‘(\u00A3)45’]…

But no luck! I’m stumped :confused:

Okay - this is the part that retrieves those ticket values from the array, and puts them in the dropdown box as options.

for (var i = 1; i < tickets.length; i++) {
    sel_1.options[i] = new Option(tickets[i][0] + ' - ' + tickets[i][1], tickets[i][1]);
}

where tickets[i][0] is the destination, and tickets[i][1] is the ticket price.

If I’m correctly understanding what you want, you want the £ symbol to appear just before the ticket price.
So it should just mean changing ’ - ’ to ’ - £’ shouldn’t it?

ahhhhhhh that makes so much more sense! I can’t believe I missed that bit/

Thanks, a million! :slight_smile: I can do the rest myself now :slight_smile: