Content generation and more

At the moment, I use wp-robot just for rss feeds for one of my websites. It’s “ok” but it’s a bit messy. WP-Robot was probably a poor product choice for me. I’m not a pure “autoblogger”. My site has fresh content from the forum and I write my own posts as well. I get a lot of traffic. I’m a bit of a ‘hybrid’ blogger.

Here’s the problem:

I don’t have the time to write a blog post every day and I don’t have the money to pay a writer. I still need fresh content on my site. Sports news happens by the minute and I want my site to have this news available even if it’s from espn, fox sports, local new papers, etc.

What should I do? Should I create a section just below my “Featured Posts” area that contains links/titles to “Steelers News from around the web”. Should I make sure that these posts don’t get indexed by google to avoid a SEO penalty?

Really need some help here.

Thanks in advance.

On a unrelated note, I keep hearing the duplicate content will get you penalized by Google. How does sites like the Huffington Post get away with it and still rank very high?

Don’t copy what they put up on their sites. Try crawling the data. Something like, if you want some news to be displayed, let it be like:

“Obama re elected as a president again” - via BBC News

Something like that, try getting from all sources, in that way I guess you are not copying but allowing your users to choose what they want, probably make an iframe.

If I said anything wrong, people please correct me. But I guess this is legit.

Perhaps you can just make a post by editing newly made news. Or you can just make a short paragraph and link it the original post. Just a thought.

“Editing” a piece that comes from another source is “creating a derivative work” under copyright law and a form of plagiarism unless you have the permission of the original author to do so. Plagiarism, in any form, is copyright infringement and not only unethical, but illegal.

A good and quick idea to keep your website updated with the latest happenings in sports world is to rewrite the first some lines and post them with the link to the original news. It will serve your both the purposes. Keeping your website updated and will also save you from any kind of plagiarism, which might be bad for your business image.

I see most of the people these days are trying to do so, they just post some content of their own and then copy paste all of the content of source. Is it allowed? They do give source link in the end. But then again, the content is copied. What do you say about this?

Stealing someone else’s content – even if you say “I stole this from <whoever>” – is still stealing someone else’s content, and is still illegal. It’s only legitimate if you get their permission first.

Between this forum and the Business and legal forum, there are probably dozens… maybe hundreds of threads that talk about copyright theft and plagiarism. Do a search and find out what all legitimate writers and artists have to say about it. As Stevie D has said, it’s illegal and it is unethical to boot.

I know it’s very tempting to take someone else’s content if you don’t have the time to create a new post every day. My suggestion is to work around this and create a weekly digest of the news you want to cover, not just copying them but offering a perspective and your comments. One post a week like this is a lot easier to manage and find the time for and could have a better value for your readers than just posting what everybody else is posting. :slight_smile:

But then again, Why Google consider them? I have seen hundreds of websites which use this technique and rank high in Google. :confused:

I completely agree with you, I read somewhere that If you post two posts a month, then still Google considers you.

Well actually, I know its illegal. But i couldn’t find why most of the websites these days do stuff like that and they are not banned by Google.

Google isn’t a police force, but they will remove sites from their index when they receive DMCA reports. Additionally, web hosts will take sites down when alerted to plagiarism. All in all, it doesn’t matter what Google does or doesn’t do. What matters is what your visitors think of your website and if you have plagiarized, copy/paste content on your site, you will not be successful in growing sustainable traffic.

What Google is interested in, first and foremost, is giving people the best answer it can find for their questions. While it doesn’t want to knowingly promote illegal content or spams/scams, it isn’t always immediately obvious which of two pages is the original and which is the copy, and as their content is assessed algorithmically by computer rather than manually by a person, it isn’t surprising that sometimes mistakes are made and the copied content ranks higher than the original for a time. That doesn’t mean that they will stay there, and they are vulnerable to being black-listed at any time, which is why – even leaving aside the ethical and legal considerations – we would not advise anyone to go down that route.

Your reply reminds me of several years ago when I worked part time at a local produce market. When a shipment of bad produce came in, we just refused it. Every day, we went through what was on display and culled out the bad from the salable. If a vendor too frequently delivered a bad lot, we just quit accepting any produce from that vendor. Seems like web owners are like those produce vendors. Some of them seem to think they are search engine customers but they are not. They seem to believe that the search engines need their wares, but there are always more vendors with the same or similar product. When the product is bad, search engines will cull it from their displays in an effort to provide their customers, the end users, with the best product available. The difference is that search engines have automated the culling process and their algorithms can sniff out the rotten apples at the bottom of the barrel. When found, the bot just throws out the whole barrel.

One way would be to check press releases. These in fact are use in it’s entirety. Checking out whats new and providing a rewrite would not be considering plagiarism. Using these to relate to new News stories is what they are for.

It is better to use copy paste the content.
Best rephrase that content with your words even Elimination or add.

[FONT=Verdana]

Have you read this thread? The issue of copying/spinning other people’s content has been thoroughly covered. It is unethical and illegal, and is not a practice to be recommended.[/FONT]

TechnoBear is 100% correct. Be advised, we don’t condone plagiarism or any illegal or unethical practices in our threads or support of plagiarism in replies to threads in this forum. If that is how you do business, you are in the wrong place.