Continous play of music

I’ve embedded a music playlist on my website, but right now, when you go to a different webpage of the website, the song starts over again. I would like the song to continue playing. I’ve been reading around the internet that the best thing to use is frames or javascript. I’ve embedded music into a website before, but I’ve never had to embed music for continuous play. Could someone please help me out as how I can do this? Thanks!

The only real way to do this would be to either convert your site to a flash site (not recommended) or to use javascript/ajax to dynamically pull in the content of each page without actually leaving the main page.

But, if you want to use music the best idea would be to give the user the option to start and stop the track at will.

Thats what I also too, to let the user to start and stop. How can I go about doing it with javascript/ajax? I know a little about javascript, but not a lot about ajax.

I would strongly advise not implementing it, for the most part it just annoys users who have to look for a way to stop it / mute it. If you are going ahead with it though ensure the controls are in clear view for the user.

Google is your friend, a search for ajax music player throws up plenty of useful links.

Yes the best solution is that you should convert your site in to JavaScript or Flash.

When I go to a site and the music starts, the first thing I do is click out.* The second thing I do is add that site to my mental list of sites never to visit again. It’s the equivalent of me opening my front door and someone blasting me with an airhorn. It’s rude, intrusive, and discourteous. If I want music on my computer (which I often do), I’ll handle it. If a site wants to treat me to music, it will ask me if I want it and give me the option to START it, not make the decision for me and give me the option to STOP it.

*Some sites are exceptions, such as those by musicians. That I can understand.

The whole site? I don’t think that’s what you’re advising.

I was reading somewhere that you could use Javascript, but converting the whole site to Javascript?

I don’t think that’s what the poster meant to say. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking. :slight_smile:

Here’s how Eric Watson went about this:

Embedding Music On Your Website Made Easy!

Wow! Thanks! I think this will work. Do you by any chance have or know of where I can see this music player in action? I am very interested in seeing it. :slight_smile:

Nevermind. I missed the working example on the page. :slight_smile:

It’s not cool to use others bandwith to play music on your website, otherwise if you host those songs you can create your own playlist which will start and run as you want.

Autoplay is bad in all cases, but for starters I don’t know the purpose of your site in context with the music. Having persistent music makes sense if it’s a musician’s portfolio or a music blog, because typically the users chose to listen to the stuff you’re offering.

But for these cases, it should be common sense for the user to just open another tab and keep surfing within the site if he/she wants the music continuously playing. It’s pretty much how I do things in SoundCloud.

If you set up your home page to start the song, then each successive page is merely inside a frame in the home page, that might do what you want.

I have to agree with other posters – few things in life annoy me more than a website that starts playing music automatically. You can bet that anyone who visits your site while they’re at work will quickly vow to never return. A video auto-starting comes in a close second.

for remove this problem use flash and ajax/javascript in all pages…

It will remove the problem - it will also remove the majority of your visitors too :rolleyes:

As a general rule, Googlebot hates pages that are built using Flash and Ajax, because it can’t understand them. So your site won’t appear in the top thirty pages of search results. And even if you do get people finding it, a lot of them will give up in disgust after a few seconds (or less) when they find the site difficult or impossible to use. Especially so when the only reason you’ve used such godawful technology is to play music at them continuously, which the chances are they don’t want in the first place.

I’m not saying Flash and Ajax don’t have their place. They can be used to good effect. But here, it’s using an awful tool to achieve an awful result … and a fantastic way to kill your website, cremate its remains and then bury the ashes.

Negative nike. Don’t do it.

Google has stated themselves that their spiders can indeed navigate flash elements, and there are workarounds. The biggest problem with Flash is you can kiss most of the mobile market (read - iPhone/iPad) goodbye.

Personally I’d just use a pop up window to hold the player - that’s what they were made for. Let the user choose to start the player and warn them it will be in a popup.

And never start playing music on a page uninvited. You never know what else the user is trying to listen to, and it’s just rude.

I try to put a gallery of music on my site Television Peruana, but I can not but have told me around that there are any plugin that I can make things easier. If pay does not matter. I hope someone knows.

Chinaskl

Out there are a few websites that offer you embed code for music videos, not code for galleries. To have a mini gallery, just activate the “related videos” feature.