Contracts

If I wright my own contract agreement for a web design project that is between a client and I can it be held up in court in case of a downfall? or do I need to get a lawyer to draw one up for me? I see a lot of websites that have a general agreement that they get the client to sign and fax over, is this okay?

It doesn’t matter who wrote it, what matters is that it’s well written, clear, uses the right language for your jurisdiction, is complete, and has the right terms/clauses for your business.

So, it’s perfectly fine to write one on our own or take one from another site. But, unless you are an attorney or know enough about contract law to understand exactly what you are signing there isn’t much assurance that the contract will be useful.

@ Sagewing

I appreciate the reply! I am going to try creating my own and just make sure I include everything that a client and I may have issues about so that it can cover me. Thanks for the words…

Go for it, just be realistic about your level of knowledge vs. how much protection you need. If you are taking any significant risk with the work you’re doing, you need more protection.